Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: How did you find us?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Here's the thing about wing spot sexing: it doesn't always tell the truth!!! With some of my babies I know beyond a shadow of a doubt what sex they are, because the parents have sex-linked genes that mean babies of a certain color MUST be a certain sex. I've had a number of these chicks with markings for the wrong sex. Wing spot sexing is supposed to be more than 50% accurate but I don't have any confidence in it. I know that Susanne (the author of the collages) has absolute faith in it, but I know other experienced breeders who say it's no more than 70% accurate.

Wing spot sexing also doesn't work on pied feathers, because pied feathers never have any markings on them no matter what age or sex the bird is, or what other mutations it has. If you have a pied chick with grey feathers in the right place you can check it out, but if it's all yellow/white feathers there it won't tell you anything. It doesn't work on pearl feathers either (which is a moot point in this case) because pearl overrides the normal markings with its own pattern which isn't gender related. It does work on lutino feathers but it's different shades of yellow so you have to look carefully.

Feeling the pelvic bones is another method that's not very reliable. Boys tend to have a narrower pelvis and girls are wider. I've heard that dangling a nail on a string over the bird works too, although I forget which pattern of movement indicates a boy and which one indicates a girl. I bet that method is about 50% accurate lol. Same as tossing a coin.

The best way to find out is by DNA test of course. The second best way is to wait a few months and see whether the cockatiel acts like a male or a female when it gets older. The boys will usually start to sing and dance and the girls usually won't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:33 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Quote:
I've heard that dangling a nail on a string over the bird works too, although I forget which pattern of movement indicates a boy and which one indicates a girl. I bet that method is about 50% accurate lol. Same as tossing a coin.

I haven't heard of that for birds. They also say that if you dangle the wedding band on the wife's palm it says if they will have a boy or girl by the direction it moves. I don't believe it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:09 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I personally think that one reliable way to tell is whether or not the bird lays an egg when it's sexually mature enough during the more hormonal time of the year, because as we all know: male birds can't lay eggs. :lol:

I do think DNA testing is the most useful way, because sometimes, cockatiels can act like the opposite gender. Females can be vocal and do the heartwings and everything, and then surprise their owners when they lay an egg. Of course, it rarely happens, but there's always the special exception. Then sometimes males would want to court other males, and so people may think they were female (that was Pecky's case, when one of his brothers tried courting him), and so owners would be led to believe that one of the two are female, until proven otherwise. Granted, this kind of thing doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Behavior is accurate about 98% of the time, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:22 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Now i regret getting two pied cockatiels lol. Hahaha! Just kidding, but i really want to know, because at some point, im gonna want to breed them. Although im not very sure because i think that when birds go through labor, they start to ignore you and act differently, like if they were to stop loving you or just not playing with you. I kind of feel that because when i brought another cockatiel into the house, Coco started to ignore me :cry: and i think its because of that, but im not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:36 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Sometimes when you bring another bird into the house, the bird that is currently there can get jealous. When they begin to get along with each other, sometimes they become more interested in each other than the human owner.

Just try and give them each individual play time in a room where they can't see the cage or the other bird. Spending some time alone with one of each will strengthen your bond with them. Eventually, they may get to where both of them will love you. It's just going to take some time. :)

Not only that, but they're both still new. It's going to take a while. Lucy's the only cockatiel I currently have, and I'm still trying to work on getting her to trust me. :lol: Sometimes, females can just be stubborn though, so if Coco really is female, then that could have a lot to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:43 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thanks! I guess its true, they are kind of new so, yeah, but thanks! :D :thanks:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even if your two pieds are opposite sexes, it's possible that the new bird, Pip, might not be able to mate because of his foot problem. During mating, males have to be able to cling to the hen's back and the hen has to be able to cling to the perch, and they both need a good amount of foot strength to do this.

A cockatiel that is already bonded to you will usually keep on being bonded to you even if you bring more birds into the house or if you give them a mate and let them have babies. They won't pay very much attention to you while they're raising babies because they have more important things to focus on, and they're likely to bite you if you stick your hand in the nest, but after the babies are grown they'll be your good buddy again.

With Coco the problem is that you got another bird before she had time to really bond with you, and Pip didn't have any time at all to bond with you before he was introduced to Coco. Right now they're probably spending more time with each other than they are with you, which is naturally going to make them rely more on each other for companionship. So yes, it's likely that they may end up being more bonded to each other than to you. But you can still have a good relationship with them if you handle them frequently in a way they enjoy and give them treats from your hand and generally make it worth their while to hang out with you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:46 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

OMG! Im so sorry, but i need immediate help! Please!
I have braces, and i was eating, but a brace fell off my tooth
So i put it on the table
And i kept on eating
But then, Coco was on a perch near the food
He jumped to the table
And ATE THE BRACE
WHAT DO I DO????? IM SO SCARED!! I FEEL LIKE SUCH A BAD OWNER. PLEASE HELP!!!! :sorry: :fit: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For anyone who's just tuning in, advice was given about the brace-eating on a different thread.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:18 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
I got referral to this forum from Diane. I was desperately seeking advise on TC about my newly hatched babies (or still eggs?), and people would answer sometimes, but not too often so I moved here.

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3