All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hello from me and my small flock
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:02 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 6 times
This is just a quick Hello and a small bit about my self and my flock I have been keeping parrots and finches for quite a number of years and have been recommended to this site by a member. I am well known locally for going into town with a bird or two on my shoulders. I train parrots and correct behaviour problems my own flock is from finches to Macaw. very varied but all loved . I breed birds and supply companion birds for the elderly. I also rescue birds my current flock is just under ninety birds. I live on a farm in Hildenborough Kent. I have quite a vast Knowledge and always willing to learn more.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello from me and my small flock
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Welcome to the group, I hope you'll enjoy it here! It's good to have a new member with a lot of knowledge, we can all learn from each other.

You have a much bigger flock than anyone else on the forum! I have 13 adult cockatiels and occasionally some babies, which is plenty for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:02 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Welcome to the forum! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Michael, such a pleasure to see you here!
I hope you'll enjoy the company, we are a much smaller forum than the one you're used to... but there's always good advice and a few laughs, which we all need :D
I can't wait to see photos of your babies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If more people join and participate we'll grow into a larger forum. That's what we're working toward! It's really only been active here for something like three weeks so I think we're doing pretty well. The forum has existed for years but it was dead when I inherited it and stayed dead until recently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:41 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I think a smaller forum is a lot more suited for some individuals. Some people do prefer bigger communities, the bigger the better, I understand it and it's a lot of fun too, but I like to know, even just a little bit, the people I am sharing experiences with.
When I need a huge group, I go clowning around in FB and there's not stopping me lol but that's different.
I am aware that we really are a bit too small, but I am sure that will change.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:28 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Welcome to the forum... its a friendly nice
place... good to have someone who has experience in many birds...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:38 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 6 times
I will post photos of my flock soon I have ninety birds in all from finches to macaw and as some may know I have a reputation of trying to help. Its good to have this site up and running as it has been inactive for a long time Keep things friendly it will grow I have one concern and that is the wellbeing of any bird and to try to educate and not allow the miss treatment of any bird. I will say now I have one main hate and that is wing clipping and promote the use of micro chipping for most medium sized birds and above. but not for budgies. I do not mind questions asked and will when I have had time to learn this site better leave my email address on the profile. I assist other local owners with their problems and will try to visit them when needed. as you can tell I am quite a busy person so please be a little patient. look forward too getting and exchanging knowledge and opinions. :thanks:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When it comes to wing clipping, my philosophy is that people should evaluate their own individual situation and do what seems most appropriate for them. I don't think there's a "one size fits all" answer to the question.

Supposedly there's a smaller microchip now that's OK for birds as small as 50 grams: http://www.microchipidsolutions.com/ But I haven't heard reports from any small-bird owners who used it, and don't know how appropriate it really is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:26 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I didn't know microchipping was something we could do to our birds. I only have cockatiels, they now go from 68g to 101g, that's Bubu who is too fat I think. So maybe it's something I can consider.
How much does it cost in UK? and in US?

I am against clipping but I have seen many arguments and when the person who want to clip the bird feels that it's necessary, and I know she/he is a great bird carer, I don't judge. I just try to convince them that it's not necessary. But at the end of the day it's the owner's choice.

Michael, I opened a thread a few days ago about one of my tiels who has serious behaviour problems.
As usual the support is great and everyone is trying to help find a solution. Woulkd you like to have a look and see what you think?
It's a thread called "Mr Darcy" in the section Behaviour and Training.
This is the link http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1466
Maybe you had a similar situation in the past, or just have some ideas on how to help my Mr Darcy.

:thanks:

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next