It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hello!! New member here....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:18 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 2 times
My name is Jennifer. I found this site from another site I belong to, which I won't mention, cause I'm not sure if it's allowed or not. :)

I live with my boyfriend, his two sons and my daughter and many furry and feathered babies. Cats, dogs, ferret, hamster, cockatiels and parakeets. Oh, and horses, but they stay outside. ;) lol

I have owned a few birds over the years, a mean cockatiel named Jasper, who I adopted out to a friend's ex husband. My oldest daughter had a parakeet for a long time, Gizzy (Gizmo), and my beloved Senegal Parrot, Fluffy, who passed away about 9 months ago.

I walked into a pet shop and fell in love with a little cockatiel. I wasn't happy with the way the girl at the pet shop handled their birds, but had been 'bitten by the birdy bug'! So my bf and I drove all over to different pet shops looking for one to adopt. No luck. They either didn't have any, didn't carry them, they were not tame or we couldn't get waited on. So, back to the first pet shop we went. I thought for sure she'd be gone. She was still there! And a different person was working. The fish guy. LOL He was amazing. Very polite and helpful. Needless to say, I brought our Daphne home that night. <3

Since then, my bf's sister was getting rid of several of her birds because she is moving. So, we got 3 more tiels, Evil, Elvis and Tweety from her and a cage of 5 parakeets.

THEN, my oldest daughter found two birds who were being rehomed in our town. She went and looked at them. Adopted one and proceeded to tell me how sweet the other one was.. so of course we had to go see him. Enter Charlie in the family. LOL For a grand total of 5 tiels and 5 keets.

Of the 5 tiels, Daphne is by far the sweetest. Charlie next and then Tweety. Which is amazing because bf's sister NEVER handled any of her birds. Tweety has come a very long way. Evil and Elvis, well, I think they are beyond tamable. Idk. :( It makes me sad, because his sister did them a major disservice by not handling them. And the keets, they are all WILD and fully flighted. As are Evil and Elvis.

So, we have definitely been bitten by the bird bug! And are seriously considering a larger bird. I'd really love to get one that can talk. My sister has an African Grey, and she is awesome, but doesn't like to be handled. I want one I can play with and cuddle with.. but that's for a different thread. ;)

Anyway, that's me... and us. I'm looking forward to meeting new friends and learning more about how to enrich the lives of our feathered babies!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello!! New member here....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Welcome to the group! Our bird collections do tend to get bigger than we expected - I have 13 cockatiels instead of the four that I originally planned.

You could try using food bribery to help your wild ones get started on the road to tameness. There's more info at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... ibery.html It's harder to tame an untame bird when you have a lot of birds, because they stay more bird oriented than human oriented. But it's usually possible to make some progress. Some of my birds were completely wild when I got them, but even the most anti-human of them will step up now. They do it reluctantly and would rather step on a stick than a finger, but they will step up on a finger under the right circumstances. They'll eat from my hand readily, and they enjoy it when I whistle to them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:10 pm 
Egg
Egg

Tielfan! Hi! You probably don't recognize me from the other site, huh? I am not very active. I have been doing some searching for some forums that aren't so limited to just certain species of birds.

Thank you for the tips on the meanies I have. lol They are each in a cage by themselves. I have the 3 friendly ones in a huge custom oak cage we have... and the other two, Evil and Elvis have their own cages. Evil is really bad! If you put your hand anywhere near the cage, he will strike at you, like he wants to eat you! Elvis isn't nearly as aggressive. He just turns and runs whenever I try to put my hand near him. :( It makes me really sad, because I feel like if they just knew what they were missing... love and attention, they would be like little leeches. I was originally going to just get rid of those two, but changed my mind. Evil and Tweety were in a cage together, but Tweety was getting bullied, so I moved him out. But the two of them whistle cat calls back and forth and even try the Andy Griffith theme song on occasion. So they are keepers. I just need to move slowly with them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Hi there. Remember me? I'm disguised under a different name.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:20 pm 
Egg
Egg

Ha!! Yes, I remember you! I thought about using a different name, but just decided to use the same one... figured it would be easier for folks to recognize me. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:46 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
This is my other choice name. I switch between the two.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
hi there, maybe you.ll recognise me too then, i think i remember you :)
Welcome to this forum and have fun!
There are a few nice contests plus you can always give me some advice on one bad bird I got myself... you'll find the thread!
Very happy to see you here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:06 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Welcome Willowvalley! :D
I know you from TC! Do you remember me?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:42 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Hello Jennifer welcome to the forum...
I've been in TC but I didn't contribute
much, so I'm sure you wont know me...
I have 2 tiels, 3 P'lets... and a budgie...
Started out with 4 birds, and managed another 2 on the way... I'm sure you'll enjoy here.. its nice...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:12 am 
Egg
Egg

Thank you all for the nice welcome!!! :thanks:

So many friends from TC here! That's funny.

Yes, Barbara and Haimovfids, I do recognize you! :applaud:

I just found it nice to be able to talk about all of my birds, and ask questions about others, instead of just one species. I'm sure I will phase myself out over there.. I wasn't all that active anyway.

I also joined another forum that I accidentally found when I was googling something... Avian Avenue. Are any of you members there too?

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next