Page 1 of 3 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Hello from a 'tiel mommy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:11 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Hello! My name is Jessi. I found this forum when I recently bought a cockatiel from a breeder at a bird show called the "Mini Bird Mart" at my current city, Tucson, and her contact information included the link to this website.

My cockatiel is a cinnamon colored female whom I've named Lucy (renamed from her temporary name "Heaster"). I got Lucy on the 25th and she's adjusting quite well. She's shy, but forgiving. My mom clipped her wings, and my older sister scared her by trying to get her to step up (but was too fast about it :doh: ), and that didn't set her nearly as far back in the trusting process as I thought. In fact, my sister scaring her happened yesterday, and today I got her to eat out of the palm of my hand. :D Her picture is in my signature if you're curious about her.

Other than Lucy, I also have a white capped Pionus named Dudley. He's almost 29 years old, and my parents have had them since he was a baby. He's a bit grumpy, but can be sweet when he wants to, and he likes to joke around by mimicing sounds and using them accordingly (ex: making a kissing sound whenever two people hug). :lol: I might post pictures of him some other time, here.

My history with birds starts with my mother. Before I was even born, my mom bred, raised, and sold finches, budgies, and cockatiels, and so during my childhood, we've owned quite a few birds (I use that term lightly as she had 3 aviaries). Word got around about her ability to raise birds, and so people would come to her when they found baby wild birds that fell out of their nest, so as a bird breeder, she also became a bird orphanage raising and then releasing wild species. My mom eventually lost interest in breeding and raising, and sold all her birds, leaving Dudley, and a sweet yellow Cockatiel with an underbite named Charlie. That is where my love for the cockatiel species came to be.

Charlie died at an old age and eventually, we adopted 4 white-faced cockatiels at a rescue. Two were a bonded pair and had their first hatchling, who sadly died (they were not experienced parents). None of them were very trusting of humans, and eventually we gave them away to people we knew. One of them we kept longer than the others. A white faced named Pecky, who had a slightly bigger head than the others, though he was full grown. He was very vocal, and had a strange habit of holding onto the horizontal bars on the cage, and moving his head back and forth rapidly, causing this sound that reminded me of a woodpecker pecking on a gutter (hence the name pecky). I wish I had a video to show you, because it was nothing I've ever seen in cockatiel behavior before and he always did it when he wanted attention.

Here are some things about me that's not bird related:
I am a musician. I play Cello, piano, and guitar (planning on learning more), and I like to write my own music. Other creative hobbies of mine include drawing, and writing stories. I'm an all around animal lover, currently having one dog a couple of tortoises, and a pond full of fish (I've had many other kinds of pets in the past, but I currently only have time for the pets I have now).

I have to say, out of all of the forum websites I've been to, the emotes for this one are very... dynamic. :shizzle: :lol:

I look forward to meeting you all, and excited to talk some bird talk! (I don't get to do that very often) :D

Post subject: Re: Hello from a 'tiel mommy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Hello Jessi and welcome to the group! You bought Lucy (aka Hester) from me, and you're the second member of the group who joined after buying one of my babies. The other member is Cloudy Skies who has Coyote (formerly known as Horatius - the temporary baby names have been getting pretty random lately lol).

I'm always excited to meet local musicians. Do you know about the Foothills Phil community orchestra? It's a great place for people who like to play in a group, although if you're highly skilled we might not be good enough for you lol.

I'm not sure why the pictures are displaying so big lately. Large pictures are supposed to resize and I'll have to look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:33 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Welcome! I had a feeling you bought her from Carolyn. Did you meet each other in person?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:20 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
:welcome:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:24 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Welcome!
I like your thoughts about forgiveness.
Look forward to hearing more about your birds. I also have a cinnamon cockatiel, named Emma.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:38 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Tielfan, thank you for Lucy. She's doing great. :D No I haven't heard of foothills phil community orchestra. I might look into it. I don't have as many chances to perform, since I graduated highschool.

CrazyConure, we did meet in person. :) Out of all the cockatiels that were at the bird show, She was the only one that sold them well under my budget (Then again, the other breeders had some fancy color mutation). Since I had an empty cage and food readily available, I was just more focused on getting a nice companion bird under 100 dollars (since that's all that was on me and everyone was taking cash) and found her stand, selling grays and cinnamons for $30 and lutinos for $40

Oh my gosh, my signature is huge! I might have to resize it myself. Sorry about that. Didn't know it would get that big.
EDIT: I just fixed it myself. I hope tielfan does get it fixed though, if they were originally supposed to resize and fit the signature.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I couldn't get it to resize but maybe that's because it was the signature picture not a regular attachment. It usually resizes on regular pictures but every now and then there's one that doesn't work.

The Foothills Phil meets on Thursday nights at Catalina Foothills High School. We basically follow the school year, so we're on summer break right now and I think it starts up again on August 20. Here's a link to the most recent concert that they've put online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITcFB-9 ... GHjwWI8Yg-

The only requirements for joining are to pay a small fee and show up with a standard orchestra instrument. They don't check into whether you can actually play it or not lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:02 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Those are great prices. It was a very good idea you bought it from her. She is extremely experienced in health and breeding of birds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:35 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Welcome into the group! Enjoy the forum!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:04 pm 
Chick
Chick

Name: Paula
Gave happy chirps: 18 times
Got happy chirps: 8 times
Welcome to the forum! I have a male grey cockatiel named Milo, who is 13 weeks old. Your little sweetie looks adorable and it sounds like things are going great. I like the name Lucy too! :welcome:

Milo- Cockatiel, hatch date 4-17-15
Bluebelle- Budgie, hatch date 4-10-12
RIP JoJo, 'tiel.
RIP Sweet Pea, budgie.
  Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 3 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next