Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Please help! Hurt COCKATIEL
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:00 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
So i just bought a cockatiel from a friend, but i didnt realize until i got home, that his feet are very crooked, as if every single toe were to be broken, im really scared, he's shaking, but it looks as if he were to have them that way for a long time, can someone please tell me what it is and what i could do?

Post subject: Re: Please help! Hurt COCKATIEL
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Can you post pictures? That will help us see what's going on. It would be best to see an avian veterinarian if you can.

It's hard to say much without seeing pictures. But if the toes are just laying sideways rather than being bent in places where they aren't supposed to bend, it's possible that it was caused by malnutrition when he was a baby. The toes don't develop properly, and unfortunately it's incurable, but the bird can still have a happy life.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:29 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

I dont know how to post a picture, i dont know if hes in pain, im scared, he is always shaking and he bites my other cockatiel coco.

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/JustC ... l.jpg.html

Last edited by JustCoco! on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:43 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
How long are it's nails? Sometimes when the nails get too long, they can't quite stand properly. If they're starting to curve under, they may need to be clipped.

But we can only know for sure, if you show us pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
This looks to me like it was caused by nutritional deficiency in infancy, which is thought to be not painful and is not associated with shaking. If he's always shaking it might be because he is frightened in his new home, or it's possible that there's a different physical problem that is causing it. He's a beautiful bird BTW.

For now, keep him in a different cage as far away from your other cockatiel as possible in case he has something that's contagious. Keep him warm. To help him feel safe in his new home, put his cage in a calm area that doesn't have anything dangerous-looking going on, and cover the cage on three sides so he only has to look out for danger in one direction. If this makes the shaking stop, good. If the shaking continues you really need to see an avian vet.

Sorry for the delay in having your posts appear. To prevent spammers, we have to set the forum so the first few posts have to be approved before they appear in public. I usually change the settings for a legitimate new member after their first post so that all their posts after that will appear immediately, but I forgot to do it for you. It's been fixed now so all your posts should appear immediately from now on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:18 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Sorry, I didn't notice you posted the link before I answered. It's not because of the talons, I'll tell you that much.

A nutritional deficiency can cause many problems, and having only the feet be affected is in my opinion, one of the more minor issues. If I'm not mistaken, there might be a way to correct them. How exactly you do this, I don't know.

If he is shaking though, it could be out of fear. However, if he's doing this constantly, it could be that he's ill. It would be best to consult a veterinarian about it, as well as the crooked feet, because they could possibly know how to do something with it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:24 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thank you both so much, i will consult my vet, and see what is going on. I feel bad now because i didnt think that anything would happen if i placed them together, wich i did, but im gonna buy another cage for him in the time being. Thank you a lot for ansewring, really helped :thanks:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:32 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Yes, when you introduce a new addition to your current cockatiel it's nest to do it gradually. Start with the both of them being out of the cage. Give them treats while they're next to each other, and do whatever you can to keep them distracted from each other, while they are close. Eventually they'll get used to each other.

By the way, in order to post a picture, look at all the buttons that's under the title, but above the message box. One of them says "image". You click that button, and you'll get this:

[image][/image]

Put the direct link in between the [image] and the [/image] (on photobucket, there are share links next to the picture. Copy the one that says "direct"), and then you get this:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:28 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thank you! Ill try that out. I didnt know how to post a picture, but thank you!!! :thanks:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:14 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I hope everything will be ok with your bird. He looks very sweet and is very lucky to have a home with you.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next