It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 4 of 7 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zebra Finch: Time when eggs should start hatching?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:32 am 
Egg
Egg

Name: brent
Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 2 times
thanks to everyone posting and for giving advice. Sorry I haven't been here to write anything. Our first baby died, but as of yesterday, we have another baby that was born and all appears to be healthy. We try not to interfere but it's hard to resist taking a peek into the nest from time to time each day to check on them. The parents seem to know what to do with the baby. We give them fresh boiled eggs (which the girl loves), and a few veggies that they will pick at. I'll ask my wife to take some pictures and post them so you guys can see them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Some babies just aren't destined to survive, and sometimes there are problems during hatch that exhaust the chick and leave it too weak to feed. I'm sorry you lost the first chick, but I'm glad that the second chick is healthy. I hope that all the others will be strong and healthy too!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apparently Trader Joe's sells fertile eggs: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/69887 ... ed-8-11-12 I think some people believe they're healthier to eat than infertile eggs.

I have a book that says that in the blastoderm stage (very early development) the embryo can withstand temperatures of 11-13 C (52-55 F) for several weeks. This is the optimum temperature for storing fertile eggs, but the embryo can withstand even lower temperatures than this. Freezing causes irreversible damage, but anything higher that is potentially survivable. Cold temperatures are a lot more problematic at later stages of development, but the egg will sometimes survive a temporary chill.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:50 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I'm sorry about the first chick. I'm glad the second one is survivng, though. :) Sounds like they're doing really well as first-time parents (lest they have done this before, depending on whoever had them before). Hope the rest hatch as healthy birds.

:lol: That's amazing. I've heard people incubate Trader Joe's quail eggs, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:51 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
I think it's totally crazy to be selling fertile eggs. Sorry :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grocery stores will basically sell anything that people want to buy (as long as it's legal). I think it's fairly common for fertile eggs of chickens and other poultry-type birds to be sold to people who want to incubate them and raise the chicks, but these are usually direct sales from the breeder to the buyer, without going through Trader Joe's first.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:01 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

News from the topic starter's wife (I talk to her on another internet resource not related to birds)

There are already 4 dead babies that parents threw out of the nest. From little info that I have, they hatch all right, they are active and asking for food at the beginning, parents were seen busy feeding babies at the day one, but on the day two they either stop feeding them or even sit on them that results in (?) smashing the babies.
Parents seem to be depressed and are not eating very well (stay in the nest all day)
This is my very approximate interpretation.

What are the major difficulties that the first time finches parents may have?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:32 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Oh this is not good. :? If there are any eggs left that happen to be fertile, it might be a good idea to take out the chicks, and try to raise them themselves. They will have to find some baby bird food at a pet store, as well as a feeding syringe if they don't have one, already.

The parents should be feeding them every 3-4 hours. If they are not doing it that often, then take them out and feed them by hand. Sitting on the babies doesn't harm them though. This is how they keep them warm.

The parents could be depressed, if they are not aware of why their own chicks are dying. I mean, if I had a baby for the first time ever, and it died shortly after birth, I would be pretty depressed, too. They could also be sick, which could result in the loss of appetite.

Since they are first-time parents, they could be having trouble keeping up, and have started giving up. There are some cases where birds will kill their own babies, due to some kind of stress. Either it could be the stress of raising chicks, or something else is stressing them out.

If they need any, I can refer some guides on how to raise them. What IS important though, is that they stay warm when you take them out of the nest. At this age, they are very sensitive to cool temperatures, and will not survive if it's too cold. They could also check if it's cold, in the area of the cage, or if there's a draft. Then they could probably put a sheet on top. Not to completely cover, the cage, but at least the top and backside, to prevent from any drafts.

Also, how big is the cage? My mom says they may do this if the cage is too small, and that the parents don't think there is enough room for the chicks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:51 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I should also add, if they are spending too much time near the nest, that could be stressing them out. They can try not making their visits to the cage as often. Hopefully, that could be one of the best-case scenarios.

This could also be the case, if the area their cage is in is noisy and active. These finches prefer quiet environment. Either do what you can to control the noise and activity, or move their cage to a quieter part of the house

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:24 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Jessi, thanks a lot!

Page 4 of 7 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next