All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Soon to be bird owner
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:12 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
I want to get a pet bird (my first bird), but I can't decide between a budgie or a cockatiel. I have dont a TON of research on both birds and other general/important information. But I'm just having a hard time making up my mind between the two. If you guys could give me some advice that'd be awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Soon to be bird owner
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Welcome to the group! Budgies and cockatiels are both great birds so it's hard to choose. Would you prefer a bird who's more calm and mellow (that would be the cockatiel) or one who's more active (that's the budgie)?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:24 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Welcome to the forum! :) Glad you could be here.

My mother used to raise both cockatiels and budgies, and I currently own a cockatiel. In fact, she's standing on my laptop as I am typing this. :parrotputer:

Anyways, both birds are small, with big personalities. Budgies are more energetic and playful, and they have more of the attitude, than cockatiels, who tend to be more mellow, and in certain cases, more cuddly.

Budgies are also great talkers, and can mimic any word or phrase, with enough practice. Cockatiels can talk, but they're more commonly known to whistle and learn songs you whistle to them.

Budgies are often viewed as the ideal "first bird", but I don't really believe there is any bird out there that would match the ideal standards as a "first bird". Both cockatiels and budgies can do well. Budgies, because their smaller size makes them out to be slightly less maintenence, and cockatiels, because of their mainly easygoing personality.

So it's really up to what you want in a bird. If you want an energetic bird that can tend to have a bit of an attitude, but is very smart and can quite a few words and phrases, go with the budgie.

If you want an easygoing bird that would love to be pet (not saying a budgie wouldn't like being pet, since I've seen some very cuddly ones), but can also be a playful goofball, (and is also very smart) and can learn to sing some of your favorite songs, go with the cockatiel (keep in mind that the males are usually the singers. This also goes with budgies and talking).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:06 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Cockatiel all the way. They are more people oriented. Budgies bond more with birds than people and are extremely flighty.

If you do go for budgie, my advice: get a handfed english budgie. They are much calmer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:02 pm 
Chick
Chick

Name: Paula
Gave happy chirps: 18 times
Got happy chirps: 8 times
I agree with Bluekeet, definitely a cockatiel. I have had both, and the keets tend to be flighty and not nearly as personable as a tiel. Tiels are sweet silly goofballs and my keet won't come out of her cage. I have had a handfed English budgie, and he was great, but don't get a regular budgie from a petstore, unless you are ready for a lot of patient training. Sorry I don't mean to sound hardnosed about it, but after having both, I won't have anything but tiels from now on. Good luck! :)

Milo- Cockatiel, hatch date 4-17-15
Bluebelle- Budgie, hatch date 4-10-12
RIP JoJo, 'tiel.
RIP Sweet Pea, budgie.
  Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:10 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I've 2 budgies... 1 cockatiel....
Budgies are funny to watch.... very bouncy... always on the move...
Tiels are a calmer bird... very intelligent, good company...
a little bigger than most budgies...
My choice is a Tiel... but then I just love them...
Hope you make the right choice for yourself..
Good luck let us know which you go for...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:07 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
I have owned a american budgie and a english budgie my english budgie would never bite you could literally hurt him and he wouldnt bite not that I ever hurt him and he would let you pick him up and file his nails and stuff.Loki is actually like that too.Budgies do bite hard its like a high power pinch and a cockatiels bite is like a lower power pinch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:15 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
If you're looking for a companion to play with all day long, then maybe budgie. Since Cockatiels take more naps during the day and are not that active (compared to budgies).

But if you have (or will have) a dayjob, or just have time in the mornings and/or evenings I'd go for the cockatiel in a heartbeat.

My personal preference goes out to cockatiels, but I can't put my finger on why... If I would have to anwser I'd say the size and the looks in general.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]