Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Member
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Oh well, at least you tried. Maybe somebody else will vote and break the tie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:12 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Welcome from me.... you live in a lovely place....
I adore Perth...my favourite place to live if it was Australia...
I'm in Wales UK...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:47 pm 
Egg
Egg

Name: Michelle
Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
Jan wrote:
Welcome from me.... you live in a lovely place....
I adore Perth...my favourite place to live if it was Australia...
I'm in Wales UK...

Thankyou, I feel very lucky to have lived here all my life, we have such a variety of scenery and places to go and a relaxed lifestyle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:22 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Have you ever been able to feed wild galas?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:50 am 
Egg
Egg

Name: Michelle
Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
Yes, but not touch them. I sometimes put out the scraps from our tiels and the wild galahs watch for me and call all their mates! I used to put seed out regularly but was overwhelmed by the response of 20 or 30 galahs so I cut back! I have stayed in a caravan park up north and the galahs would come right up to you for food, loved it! Sometimes when it rains after a long dry spell we see the galahs clowning around having a bath on old dead tree branches.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:17 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Aw, I love galahs! They're so pretty. :D I thought that if I were to ever get a larger bid, it would be a galah... Or a goffins, or even a Major Mitchell's. All I know, is that it would be a cockatoo (though vasa parrot has been in the mix of preferences, too). :lol:

It must be somewhat hectic to have such smart birds living in urban/suburban environments, though. I heard from one woman that they like to unhook clothespins on a clothesline, while laundry is drying. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Galahs are in short supply in the US, although there's at least one person in the Tucson bird club who has one. They're in demand here, so it drives Americans crazy that Australia won't let us import them, but they're such an agricultural pest in Australia that farmers are allowed to shoot them. It would make a lot of people happy if the farmers were allowed to trap and export the galahs instead of killing them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:03 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I don't know, I think there could be some problems exporting too. I would imagine wild cockatoos would be harder to tame and "cage train" than birds raised in captivity. Wild caught cockatoos would probably be more prone to screeching and feather plucking, possibly.

Then again, they do seem to be imprinted by humans, considering how they get fed often by pedestrians. So I wonder if they could learn fairly quickly? I wouldn't expect them to really be a cuddle-bug, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wild-caught birds were the norm for non-Australian parrots until about 20 years ago, when new laws brought the import trade to a screeching halt. The Australian export ban started around 1960 so it's been longer since people could get wild-caught Aussie parrots.

A wild-caught bird isn't likely to be a great pet but it could be a good breeder, and imported birds would be best used as breeders to increase the number of domestically bred birds. I'm sure the wild-caught birds would be happier if they were still roaming free, but at least they would still be alive and living a reasonably good life instead of being shot dead as a crop pest.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:39 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Indeed, that is true. I'm sure they would adjust in an aviary, once they realize they're getting free food and kept safe from predators.

You would need some strong material for a cockatoo aviary though, or else they would chew right through it. :lol: I would figure that would be the case for macaws and other large parrots.

There has been parrot species that have suffered extinction, through both shooting and captive breeding. The Spix macaw officially became extinct as a wild species, and since there isn't enough blood diveristy in the captive birds that are still alive, many babies end up with many inbred problems. If people were to transport wild caught birds from australia to america, one would at least have to be mindful of at least keeping a number wild, lest they extinct the species.

The Carolina parakeet suffered extinction, due to farmers shooting them for eating their crops. They were also bred in captivity, though no one was willing to try and save the species as a whole, at the time. In result, the U.S. lost one of two native parrot species (there's still the endangered thick billed parrot, which only lives in mexico now, and there are attempts to try and reintroduce it to the U.S.).
Though, there is still the invasive quaker population here, in which people are debating catching and using for pet trade.

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next