Page 2 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hi, I'm Rhonda
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:55 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Yes, yes and yes. And that would be normal grey.

What's his personality like?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
No Name is definitely a male, in fact he's the only bird in your flock whose sex can be easily identified just by looking at him. He's a normal grey male, unless he's an adult male pearl. Pearl males lose their pearls in adulthood and look a lot like a normal grey. He's got some faint ghost pearling on his back and some white streaks in his tail which make me wonder what he is.

Lucky is whiteface cinnamon pied and Rosey is lutino.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:25 pm 
Egg
Egg

Name: Rhonda
Gave happy chirps: 14 times
Got happy chirps: 1 time
Bluekeet wrote:
Yes, yes and yes. And that would be normal grey.

What's his personality like?

He is shy, and is easily dominated by Lucky. I'm almost considering "Skipper" just because when he reaches the floor, he is a challenge to capture. Lol. He will just skip right over my hand time after time.

He was quickly outcast by the others two. He does squawk at me wanting attention now. He is coming to love me:). Lastly, he has yet to whistle anything or even attempt to mock Lucky or myself when we whistle our tunes. He is no where near as vocal as Lucky. I had another male who flew away months ago. He was much more vocal also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:29 pm 
Egg
Egg

tielfan wrote:
No Name is definitely a male, in fact he's the only bird in your flock whose sex can be easily identified just by looking at him. He's a normal grey male, unless he's an adult male pearl. Pearl males lose their pearls in adulthood and look a lot like a normal grey. He's got some faint ghost pearling on his back and some white streaks in his tail which make me wonder what he is.

Lucky is whiteface cinnamon pied and Rosey is lutino.

Thank you for confirming this for me. I had another grey male before this one who was identical to him! There was no doubt he was a male either. ( He flew away and never returned. He was my baby! His name was Rufus.) My female has such faint barring on her tail that I have to shine a bright light in her to see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:53 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Welcome.... beautiful birds....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
BTW if we have identified the mutations correctly, you'll be able to sex the babies pretty easily when they feather out. Girls will be cinnamon and boys will not be cinnamon.

There are a couple of things that could throw a monkey wrench into this however. One is if Rosey is cinnamon lutino instead of just plain lutino. If that's the case then all the babies will be cinnamon. A cinnamon lutino will usually have a faint brownish color on the primaries (long wing feathers) and the tail feathers. I can't tell whether she has this or not because these feathers are in shadow in the picture.

Another one is if Lucky isn't actually cinnamon. His eyes looked so red in the first picture that I wondered if he was recessive silver (a rare mutation), but the eyes looked dark in the other pictures and it's really a lot more likely that he's cinnamon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:14 am 
Egg
Egg

Jan wrote:
Welcome.... beautiful birds....

Thanks, Jan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:15 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Since no name's a grey, he follows the rules of basics gender identification in cockatiels. If he is a pearl that lost them, that's also an indication that he's male.

My own tiel, Lucy, used to run around on the bottom to avoid coming out as well. She was one of Carolyn's babies (she breeds for the local bird club here), so she's already tame, but Lucy is a shy girl and takes her a while to warm up to people. Was he parent/aviary raised? Aviary raising is basically the same as parent raising, though I think since it would be in an outdoor aviary, he would be even less acquainted to people, since he would see him less.

Don't believe the person who told you he won't be able to be handled. It seems he's already making progress. I can share some experience if you want. :) I can't guarentee he'll become a total cuddle-bug, but I've seen cockatiels that have been isolated from human contact, become the most affectionate birds out there, so it's definitely possible. ;)

I believe the eyes were red because of the camera flash, Carolyn. Lucy's eyes get red in flash as well, which could've made her look like a recessive slilver, if I didn't have the color set to "super vivid", and made her look more brown than anything.
I was wondering if he could also be fallow, but from the pictures I've seen, I really doubt it, since his coloring is a bit too dark for it, so I think I would go with cinnamon, for Lucky. Rosey looks like a regular Lutino, but she could be a cinnamon Lutino.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:03 pm 
Egg
Egg

Now that I know to look for it, I believe there is some very pale cinnamon in Rosey's longest tail feather. If the pics are not good enough, I will try to get better ones. Also, I took another pic of Lucky to show that his eyes are not actually. It was indeed the light:)

Sadly enough Rosey has been off the nest completely for about two hours and the eggs are all beginning to feel cold. Not sure if I am being paranoid but Imdont think this is good. Lucky goes in to the nest for all of a minute or less and comes back out. He does this about every 30 or 45 minutes. They are both more interested in each other again.

Last edited by sonomama on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:05 pm 
Egg
Egg

Beautiful bird you posted a pic of, Jessi. Thanks for sharing:)

Profile E-mail  

Page 2 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next