Page 3 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hi, I'm Rhonda
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It does look like she has a hint of cinnamon in her tailfeathers. Either that or the tail is dirty. Cinnamon lutino is called the "dirty lutino" look for a reason lol.

How long have they had these eggs? If some of them are more than three weeks old it's possible that the parents have given up on them. If they're acting romantic they may be getting ready to start a second clutch, even though some of the eggs in the first clutch are still pretty new.

The male is really supposed to do most of the daytime egg-sitting, but maybe he's too young to do his job right. Rosey's age is very appropriate but she's a first-timer too, and first-time parents don't always do well, especially if they were hand-raised rather than parent-raised. It's also possible that she's giving up because her mate isn't doing his part - if all 9 eggs hatched there's no way she could raise that many babies without help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:41 pm 
Egg
Egg

Name: Rhonda
Gave happy chirps: 14 times
Got happy chirps: 1 time
My concern is that the one fertile egg has been doing soooo well! The egg is almost entirely red today, so it's been thriving. I guess I want that egg to hatch so darn badly that I'm driving myself nuts. LOL! Lucky usually goes into the box throughout the day as well as her. However, she has been laying so that explains why she is in the box ao ofteh. they actually go into the nestbox together sometimes too. She had another large poop today, as I'd she is going to lay another egg. (Didn't have an egg laid yesterday.). After that poop, she has been very much a lover to Lucky. I'm guessing she is going to lay another egg and , as you stated, a second clutch isn't out of the question yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hopefully somebody will resume sitting on that egg soon! If you want to try to keep it warm yourself, you can google for homemade incubator, then slip the egg back under the parents if they start sitting more tightly again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:18 am 
Egg
Egg

I m monitoring the temp inside the box. Near the top of the box, the temp is varying between 70 and 73. Again, that is not deep into the box where the bedding and eggs are. She returned to the box overnight so, I am hopeful:).

I just candled the fertile egg and it's moving around and looking good so far!

Last edited by sonomama on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:49 am 
Egg
Egg

Yes, I think there may be some cinnamon in the tail as well. The lighting in my house isn't the greatest and it's been raining for over a week here. No help from the natural lighting here! I will try to get a better look at her soon. I am trying not to handle her much so as not to upset her. (I didn't get her tamed before she started laying.).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The parents frequently know better than we do and that seems to be the case here. It might have seemed to us that she was off the eggs for too long, but the fertile egg is still viable so she may have known how much time off she could get away with. There are so many eggs in the nest that collectively they would hold the heat longer than a single egg would.

If you can get hold of a cheap LED flashlight that could help shine some light on the situation regarding her tail color lol. Or if you could hold her next to a window with bright sunlight shining in. LED pen lights are cheap and easily available. They might be a little small for inspecting adult birds, but they're great for candling eggs since the light is very bright and the beam is very narrow, and the bulb doesn't get hot so you can look as long as you want to without worrying about overheating the egg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:56 am 
Egg
Egg

Thanks Carolyn.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:39 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Welcome :muchlove:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:19 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I just caught up with this thread. Your birds are beautiful! I would love to have one that looked like Lucky, with that impressive white crest!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:46 am 
Egg
Egg

Thanks, Dianne. Lucky really is a beautiful boy, and such a gentleman too! Right now his tail is looking like bare sticks, but it is likely from falling off perches (and off Rosey lol) because he has such a hard time holding onto things with the "nubs" he has for toes. Only one toenail on each foot makes this little boy have to work harder at everything he does. But, he is such a trooper! He is my rescue and I'm so glad I got him:)

Profile E-mail  

Page 3 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next