Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Jessi and I both live in Tucson, and the big annual reptile show is this weekend: http://www.tucsonreptileshow.com/ I've never been to it before, but the bird club decided to rent a table to promote the bird mart that's coming up in about three weeks. So I'll be there sometime this weekend to help out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:08 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
tielfan wrote:
Free-flying parrots takes some very intensive recall training to really do it right, with "food management" as the recommended technique to make sure the bird comes back. The basic idea is that the bird doesn't actually starve, but it THINKS that it's starving and comes when you call because it really really wants the food. That's according to a recall group that I briefly belonged to, anyway. I don't want my birds to spend their lives thinking that they're starving, and all the hawks in the neighborhood make it pretty dangerous anyway (they're mostly Cooper's hawks). So my guys won't be doing any free flying outdoors. The guy who built my house had a cockatiel that would fly around in his yard, and he lost it one day when a hawk swooped down in the middle of a barbecue with the yard full of people and grabbed the tiel in midair.

I couldn't train recall based on weight management with parrots. It works with raptors because that's natural for them. They get hungry they eat. With free flight I think it's essential to have mutual trust and the incentive to come back to you should be the bond you have. You don't need that with raptors but I think it's the only positive way to train the parrots. I've heard a lot about weight management with them but that scares me too much. I don't want them living feeling like that either

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:09 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

tielfan wrote:
Jessi and I both live in Tucson, and the big annual reptile show is this weekend: http://www.tucsonreptileshow.com/ I've never been to it before, but the bird club decided to rent a table to promote the bird mart that's coming up in about three weeks. So I'll be there sometime this weekend to help out.

Take some pics :D I bet there will be loads of cool animals there

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:41 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
tielfan wrote:
The guy who built my house had a cockatiel that would fly around in his yard, and he lost it one day when a hawk swooped down in the middle of a barbecue with the yard full of people and grabbed the tiel in midair.
oh no, I can't even imagine how bad it must have been.

Welcome deebee! It's very interesting to read about your pets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:22 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thank you :D

Page 3 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3