Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'd like to introduce myself
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:20 am 
Egg
Egg

Name: Mike
Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
Hello every one, my name is Mike. I picked the user name Mr.BooBoo because my cockatoo some times calls me BooBoo. I live with my mother, my brother, and 2 very loved rescue birds. It was three birds up until a few months ago. We lost our sweet Jasmine, a beautiful, gentle, and amazing female green Amazon, about 4 months ago. I'm still a bit devastated by that. It was very sudden and unexpected, and I miss her so much. Fortunately we still have KiKi, my little sweat heart guy, and Zoe whom is my mother's little guy. Kiki is a large male cockatoo about 17 years old, and Zoe is a male goffin's about the same age.

Kiki, like I said, is my little sweat heart guy, and we have always had a very healthy interaction. Zoe on the other hand, has always been un-approachable from when we very fist brought him home. My mom can hold him and pet him, but other than that he has always been a biter and a screamer. But now, ever since we lost Jasmine, Zoe has been a whole lot worse with the screaming, and it's kind of really becoming a problem.

There's just no way we could ever give up on him or give him away. That's just not an option. So I've been on line searching for information that might help, and what I have read here at this site in the problem behavior section has shed a lot of light on why Zoe behaves the way he doe's. It has also made me realize that if we want his behavior to change we all will have to change our behavior as well. But my main concern now is the fact that our incorrect interaction with Zoe has been going on for 14 years. I'm worried that he might be too used to acting the way he doe's to change. I don't really know if he's ever had a healthy relation ship with people or birds and I really think we're going to need some help with it and I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and register here to try to find some advice.

So that's the story of why I'm here. I'll try to get a picture of our two little guys posted and let you all know what we're doing and how it's going with Zoe in the next few days. And I look forward to getting to know some you fellow bird lovers and hear about your birds.

Thanks for reading and plz reply.
Mike... AKA Mr.BooBoo :bigsmile100:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I'd like to introduce myself
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Welcome to the group! And don't worry, Zoe can change. The transition will probably be rough, because he's been getting results with screaming for a long time and at first he won't be able to believe that it doesn't work any more. But he'll improve if you're consistent about not rewarding the screaming and rewarding behavior that you like better.

Post subject: Re: I'd like to introduce myself
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:33 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Welcome to LFB! :welcome3:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]