All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New from Ft. Lauderdale FL
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 am 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
Hi, I am owned by several cockatiels and alot of mousebirds.

I have some online albums: http://s525.photobucket.com/home/Mousebirds-and-more/allalbums

My Cockatiel Website: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/

My Mousebird Website (still under construction): http://www.mousebirds.com/index.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New from Ft. Lauderdale FL
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Welcome to the group! You'll recognize me from Talk Cockatiels. I recently inherited this forum, which has been deader than dead for a while now. I'd like to change that if I could, although I don't have any brilliant ideas for making it happen. But if you ever want a private conversation this is a great place to hold it, and if you know anyone else who'd like to belong to a VERY small group then this could be an excellent place for them.

This was a really nice group once upon a time, but the they lost their server several times and all the old messages with it, and each time this happened we lost members until finally there weren't enough people left to keep the conversation going. The website at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.org/ disappeared for a long time too, but I had saved a copy of it and was appointed webmaster several months ago. I added several new pages covering questions that get asked a lot on bird forums, and I've been posting links ever since in hope of scaring up some new forum participants. It hasn't been very successful so far, but it looks like maybe it worked on you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:36 am 
Egg
Egg

Carolyn...do you have your own website? I use: www.weebly.com It is a a free hosting and the online editor is easy to use. Once you have a website add the link to your signature to email and anywhere you post. I have found this is the best way to get new people to the forum. Have a link at the top of the main entry page of the website and curious people (like me) will click on it and check it out :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have the website at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.org/ and the message on the main page is meant to lure people into the forum. But there are so many other forums that are already active that it's hard to bring people in.

I also have a small personal webpage at http://home.comcast.net/~ch_zonie/index.html but there's not much on it and I'm sure it gets less traffic than the LFB website. I use it mostly to post pictures of my chicks so buyers can see their baby pictures. I started volunteering with a hummingbird bander this year so the site is also home to a section on hummingbird monitoring, but it's nowhere near complete. I want to get a lot more pictures, but I haven't had a day where (1) I wasn't busy with trapping duty, which is incompatible with photography and (2) the other trappers were able to catch a lot of hummingbirds. For a couple of months now there have been so many flowers at the Sabino Canyon site that the hummers look at our traps, laugh, and go somewhere else for their snack.

We used to have monthly photo contests on the forum. This has gradually died out to to lack of participation, but until we have enough members to do it again I want to replace it with a Bird of the Month thing where a photo of a member's bird is featured each month without bothering with a contest. The photo will be on the website's main page during its month, and permanently in the photo contest section at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.org/pc/pc.html Would you like to have the honors for July? A picture of your mousebird would be especially nice since they're not common pets.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:10 pm 
Egg
Egg

Carolyn...this is Belle, a spoiled rotton Blue-naped mousebird.
Image She has to come out every time I handfeed the 3 smaller ones and she likes to lay on my husbands chest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

She's adorable! I didn't know there was such a thing as a blue-naped mousebird, but I looked it up and found out it's a natural species and not a mutation.

Of course I realize there may not be any captive-bred mousebird color mutations since they're not common like budgies and tiels.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:41 am 
Egg
Egg

Here's a link on the different species of mousebirds: [url][url]http://www.mousebirds.com/species-of-mousebirds.html[/url][/url]

So far I have the Blue-naped, red-faced, and white-backed. I will soon be doing a trade with Seaworld in Orlando FL for several Speckled mousebirds.

What is interesting is they are called living fossils, and may be older than the dinosaursas far as existance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They're interesting birds, and I've heard that they're wonderful pets. What really impresses me though is the length of the tail! Most of the body vaguely resembles a cardinal, but that tail is really exotic.

I'm also impressed that you're trading with Sea World of all places. I wouldn't have expected them to have mousebirds.

Edited to add: whoa... I just noticed that that's YOUR website. Cool!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:13 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
i do have a WBC right now prolly rehoming her. since my cat is almost 13yrs old and i am not home alot (3-4 days a wk) and i dun got alot of money and the cat comes first. so i am hoping some one i know will hopefully purchase her from me if not then ill rehome her to some one who will just take good care even if i do loose out alot of money. but i will still be on here time to time, hopefully more often then not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You waited so long to get your white belly! It's really a shame that you need to rehome her so soon.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next