Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jaid had an accident
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:21 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Today Jaid had a fright and flew into the ceiling fan going at full speed. Upon impact about 25 white feathers exploded around the room. He caught a blade midair and was launched across the room. Luckily he landed on a couch and carpet. He was in shock and began fluttering around, further bonking into walls and furniture. Thinking quickly I grabbed a light rag and draped it over his back while he was on the floor to help him stay still. I sat and talked to him for a few minutes and when his breathing slowed down I carefully removed the rag. Thankfully he stayed put so I continued to sit with him for 30 minutes while he recovered. Showed no signs of concussion, no eye closing, rocking, vomiting, staggering etc. He held his wings a bit funny but after all that time remarkably I believe he only jostled his feathers; didn’t see any signs of a brake. He did definitely have a sit though as his bum was on the ground and he wasn’t putting much weight on his feet. He was quite alert while I was sitting with him, quietly answering Danny’s cries with open, bright eyes. He even fluffed up a few times. Let him sit for 10 more minutes before he easily stepped up and put him back in his cage to rest. Danny clung on the outside of his cage for about an hour telling him he was a good boy over and over again. He has been quiet and hasn’t eaten much in several hours. I’m seeing how he is tomorrow since he probably won’t be able to hide the pain if there is any then.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jaid had an accident
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
OMG he's lucky to be alive! I thought for sure you were going to say he was dead, and I'm so glad that the story didn't turn out that way.

Give him Gatorade or some other kind of electrolyte solution like you did with the budgies when they were sick. That will perk him up if anything can, and then maybe you can hold some millet spray in your hand for him to eat.

Keep him warm too - the best thing to do is to heat half the cage so he can choose which side he wants. If he prefers the cooler side you can stop providing heat. Putting a heating pad under one side of the cage will work, but a lot of heating pads are made to shut off automatically after half an hour. The other main alternative is to cover one side of the cage with a towel and shine a lamp on it so the heat from the bulb goes through the towel into the cage. But you need an old-fashioned sort of bulb that emits heat because LEDs don't do it, and you also need to not put it so close to the cage that it could set the towel on fire.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

P.S. If he doesn't want to drink Gatorade, you can try soaking some seeds in Gatorade for a few minutes and then see if he'll eat the seeds off your finger. That technique has worked for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:14 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

I walked over and he was picking at food, so there’s still motivation there, I just think his body is achy and anxious so he’s not too in the mood for food. My initial thought was he broke a wing, but I think he hit just right to avoid that. Clearly he didn’t hit his head but that leaves me to think he hit his chest or side. Is there anything I need to be aware of around that area? By the way, he still hissed when I walked up like always so his spirits still there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's hard for us to figure out what's going on with birds. He's probably bruised and sore, and he might be feeling a bit traumatized too. He needs some quiet time now, and a bit of Gatorade and supplemental heat won't hurt either.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:47 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

So update. He has been very quiet and keeps closing his eyes to take naps. He looks pretty beat up but he has been eating and actually drinking too. He moves around his cage pretty easily. Lock picker Danny released him and he very quietly flew to his cage, which was surprising. He definitely isn’t very active and is resting a lot today but still moves around on his own will. My only problem is I hope he didn’t hurt his insides too much. On the outside nothing looks serious but I do wonder if he took a pounding on the inside.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would guess that his internal organs are probably OK. He's moving around well enough that it doesn't sound like he broke any bones, and he'd probably have to crack a few ribs before his internal organs would be damaged. Birds have such lightweight bones that they could get broken pretty easily, but it sounds like he lucked out. He probably has some major bruises though.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:19 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Jaid is a miracle bird! To me, it sounds like he’s doing very well. Signs of eating and drinking, especially the day after the accident is a very good sign.

There’s no blood, or broken bones, or any physical damage? I’m in shock. I’m hoping for a quick recovery! Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:37 am 
Quaker
Quaker

I was talking to my dad yesterday on a video call and he showed me Jaid. He offered his finger and Jaid hissed and lunged at it like he does everything you show him so he really does feel like himself, just a bit beat up. I think he’s going to be okay but I’m going to let him have a quiet week of recovery.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hissers gotta hiss :roffle: :roffle: :roffle:

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]