All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Plucking help?
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:05 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
My mom's blue and gold macaw, Gabby, has been plucking again ever since she was admitted to the hospital about three weeks ago.
I've started spraying him with that bitter apple flavored spray made to stop plucking, and I'll see how that works, but do you guys have any tips on how to make him feel better, because my mom won't be home for at least a few more weeks.
Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know if birds can affect Lymphoma, the type of cancer?
I ask because I know cat litter can, and I want to know if the birds will be a health hazard to my mom.

Post subject: Re: Plucking help?
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't know much about plucking but I'll do what I can. From what you've said, this is apparently emotional plucking (missing your mom) and not a medical problem in the bird. Perhaps some new toys would help cheer him up? Maybe give him some interesting new adventures, like putting him in a travel cage and taking him for a ride in the car.

It might help if you could arrange for him to hear your Mom's voice. Get her on the phone and hold it up so the bird can hear her talking, or have her record something that you can play for the bird over and over.

There's a Yahoo group for pluckers at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/pickinparrots/ It looks like it's not as active as it used to be, but there's probably still good advice to be had over there.

Cancer is basically an internal malfunction, and as far as I know birds don't have any effect on any kind of cancer. But cancer treatment can mess up your immune system so it's probably best if somebody else does all the cage cleaning. Although I had chemo last year and kept on doing all the bird maintenance without any problems.

It's a good idea for her to ask her doctor about this. I hope that everything goes well with her treatment and she beats this problem!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:43 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
tielfan wrote:
I don't know much about plucking but I'll do what I can. From what you've said, this is apparently emotional plucking (missing your mom) and not a medical problem in the bird. Perhaps some new toys would help cheer him up? Maybe give him some interesting new adventures, like putting him in a travel cage and taking him for a ride in the car.

It might help if you could arrange for him to hear your Mom's voice. Get her on the phone and hold it up so the bird can hear her talking, or have her record something that you can play for the bird over and over.

There's a Yahoo group for pluckers at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/pickinparrots/ It looks like it's not as active as it used to be, but there's probably still good advice to be had over there.

Cancer is basically an internal malfunction, and as far as I know birds don't have any effect on any kind of cancer. But cancer treatment can mess up your immune system so it's probably best if somebody else does all the cage cleaning. Although I had chemo last year and kept on doing all the bird maintenance without any problems.

It's a good idea for her to ask her doctor about this. I hope that everything goes well with her treatment and she beats this problem!

Thanks so much (:

I'm sure it is emotional plucking, and I recently re-arranged his cage and gave him some new toys along with his favorite, and the bitter apple - flavored spray seems to be doing really well, he hasn't plucked since I began using it.
She should be able to come home soon, so I'll wait and see what the doctors say, but I tend to cleaning and feeding usually, anyways so that's not a big deal ^^

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:50 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
theres also a web site you can buy a jacket for him/her
www.birddiaper.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 12 times
It's just bored or sad. Buy it new toys or change its toys fequently and spend more time with it. Hope your mom gets better so her bird will feel better. =D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:52 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
i suggest music when no ones home, if he/she dont get better. get a cone like they use on dogs for stitches till your mom comes home

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]