All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 14 [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: WHAT IS THAT!?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:21 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 12 times
Got happy chirps: 0 time
So yesterday, I just noticed my budgie Sunshine has a red mark under her wings like on the flight feather for both wings :shrug: I don't know how it got there she also has a cage mate a budgie named Kaylee and Kaylee does fight with Sunshine every now and then pecking her feet or back. So is it blood?! :yikes:

Plus she isn't tamed!

PS I found out that Sunshine is a BOY

Last edited by petlover716 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: WHAT IS THAT!?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I talked about some possibilities for what this might be at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1337&start=10

There are ways to handle an untame bird when necessary. Here are a couple of examples, but each one has something bad about it.

There's a video at http://video.about.com/birds/How-to-Saf ... a-Bird.htm that shows how to towel a small bird. It's easiest when two people work together - one person can hold the bird and the other one can stretch the wing out for inspection, or do whatever needs to be done. Unfortunately the video starts with an advertisement for Glade air fresheners which are bad for birds! Somebody wasn't thinking straight when they put that ad on this video.

The link at http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-an ... arrot.aspx shows an example of holding a bird with the wing stretched out. The bad thing about this example is the angle that they're holding the scissors - that's not how you trim wing feathers, you'd injure the flesh part of the wing if you cut like that!

But the rest of the advice is pretty good. With an untame bird you're not going to have an easy stress-free capture like they show in the video, but most birds aren't too distraught about being handled. If you google for "how to towel a bird" you'll find more articles and videos.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 pm 
Finch
Finch

She doesn't seem to be in pain.... wait INSTINCT. I should really get a vet but how much do check-ups cost like about?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Different vets charge different prices and the amount can vary a LOT. Many vets don't treat birds at all (it's a specialty) so first you have to figure out which vets in your area deal with birds, and then you can call them and ask about prices. If you need help finding a vet and are willing to tell me what area you live in, I can use google to help locate avian vets.

It's very possible that she really isn't in pain. Birds are very skilled at hiding illness but they tend to be big sissies when a wing is bothering them. If she can fly and stretch the wing out and preen it without squawking, she's probably OK. This is assuming that the stuff you see is blood - a bird who has bloodstains from a wing feather that got knocked loose and is still loose will complain loudly when the feather is in an uncomfortable position, and silence means everything is fine. If she was plucking herself, she would squawk every time she yanked out a feather.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:38 pm 
Finch
Finch

oh phew so she isn't in a lot of pain but she's so silence and chirps usually at night or while they groom. Although Kaylee pecks or puts her foot on Sunshine's back or feet , Kaylee still bobs her head and chirp while looking at Sunshine but usually Sunshine ignores it or swings her head at Kaylee. I also don't know why sometimes randomly they just flapping their wings like really fast ( I call them helicopters) and either standing on the perch or just fly here and there which scares the hack out of me thinking they will get hurt or fighting.

Oh BTW I live in San Jose CA but I can go all the way to Milpitas CA

CA: California

PS Kaylee is making a lot of process on taming but Sunshine sadly is getting worse or no process she almost ALWAYS scoot when she hears/see me holding the cage door the cage is PH and is like a giant cube about 2 feet high and about 20 inches in width and length.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When one bird puts its foot on the other one's back, it might be mating behavior. The male stands on the female's back to mate, and sometimes a same-sex pair will behave like an opposite-sex pair, with one bird taking on the role of the other sex. With females this can lead to unwanted egg-laying, so you need to keep an eye on their hormone levels.

I'm not sure about one bird putting its foot on the other bird's foot. Accidentally stepping on each other's toes maybe? Or do they seem to be doing it on purpose?

My experience with budgies is limited, but I have the impression that males are very vocal and the females are more quiet. Are you sure that you have two females?

Flapping the wings on the perch is just getting some exercise. It's common behavior for pet birds. Ditto for flying around. As long as they aren't crashing hard into things they should be pretty safe. If they frequently fly into windows or large mirrors, it would be safer to cover those things up when the birds are out. Alternatively you could clip their wing feathers just a little bit to reduce their flying speed.

Your cage is reasonably large but apparently not big enough for these two lol. Do they really fight a lot with one bird frequently bullying the other, or do they just squabble sometimes? Budgies are kind of aggressive so there's going to be some squabbling, but if they aren't frequently making life miserable for each other then they might be OK the way they are.

They might do better in a really huge cage, like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prevue-Hendry ... s/12438866 That would give them plenty of room to get away from each other when they wanted to. Back in the days when I had only two cockatiels, I had to keep them in separate cages because one bird would bully the other if they were together in a relatively small cage. But after I got a ginormous cage they got along well enough with each other and with the two other tiels that I got at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:15 pm 
Finch
Finch

Oh! Kaylee was putting her foot on the back of Sunshine! And they squabble a little almost every day.

Well I'm not exactly sure they're both females: Kaylee's cere is purplish with a little blue on the bottom of it and Sunshine's cere is full pink.

( Woah Kaylee just somehow fell down or so , she got back up on the perch) And no they don't step on each others feet Srry about that.

Kaylee is the most vocal!And Sunshine well not really.
The only aggression behaviors I can think of between them are: feet pecking, pecking on back, loud squawking sounds.

Oh I noticed one more weird sound I heard from Sunshine so you know how pigeons go coo.....coo right, well Sunshine does that little noise ooo.ooo.. then stops?

PS That's my cage brand ! Except mines are smaller than those cages I guess I have to tell my parents but I don't think they will be happy about that! Because sometimes when they vaccum they have to move the cage into another room like the bathroom
( we don't put chemicals in there or non-stick items)
BTW although your budgie experience are limited you did a FANTASTIC job helping me out!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kaylee is sounding a lot like a boy lol. Although cere color can be affected by the bird's mutation. If you really wanted to be sure you could get a DNA test, which costs about $20 if you collect the sample yourself and send it to a lab.

Some squabbling is normal. Cockatiels are supposed to be a very mellow species but you should hear my flock arguing over sleeping space at bedtime. I call it "night time is the right time for a fight".

Budgies are generally more aggressive than cockatiels, but as long as no one is being picked on constantly or getting hurt it's OK. Loud squawking and pecking on the feet and back definitely sounds like an argument.

Is there any particular situation when Sunshine makes the cooing noise? It's probably a happy sound, but I'm also wondering if it's a romantic sound.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:01 pm 
Finch
Finch

Sunshine sometimes does that when Kaylee goes close to her.

Is Kaylee a tomboy? :raspberry: hahaha!
Kaylee: Gender confusion
Sunshine:Age confusion

PS Sunshine haven't been doing it for a few days now.Plus she's bleeding a bit more :doh: I want to get her out of the cage but I want to do it without or at least only a little stress because I don't want to stress out any animals that are sick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it's still bleeding, she might have a cut or some other kind of injury that isn't healing. If you're able to clean her up and figure out what's going on, it's OK to put a little bit of antibiotic cream if there's a small wound. But it's not good to get that stuff on the feathers, so keep the amount very small so it doesn't make a mess.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to handle an untame bird without causing some stress. If you know somebody with bird experience who could help you examine her, that would probably make the process faster and easier.

Page 1 of 14 [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next