It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moons foot injury (details)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:20 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
There was a terrible raccoon attake in my flock on January 12th that killed 4 of my cockatiels. The ones that survived had some blood on themselfs but one of them was left with a bloody wing and an ingured foot
He limps on it and picks it up in his body 75% of the day in the other 25% of the day he is walking fine, he also climbs the cage bars fine.

This is what his ingured foot looks like Image
These are his most recent poops

Post subject: Re: Moons foot injury (details)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:21 am 
Conure
Conure

This is him perching

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:31 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 4 times
Baruch... I'm sorry to say, but you need to make sure this is kept clean. even if you can get some Betadine from the pharmacy to put on it, it's something.

personally, i would let it be--no splint. it'll be crooked, that's fine, but my biggest worry is bacteria and infection. that cut NEEDS to be kept clean :( especially from a raccoon bite.

but, looking at the toe, there's a chance he may lose it. i think i can say it's most likely broken, based on the angle of it.

im sorry to see this has happened and i wish him the best recovery possible!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Thanks for the help Casey! Going off topic for a second, it's funny that you named Mango's ball in your signature. It looks like he's passionately in love with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:16 pm 
Conure
Conure

How do I keep it clean? He hates baths and the only way I can get a hold of him is by toweling him, I'll try to clean it tomorrow

What do you mean by loose it :o
I'm really scared, I don't want him to loose is foot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I think she meant that he might lose the outer half of the toe beyond the injury point. But the skin color looks healthy in that area so I'm not sure how big of a risk this is. A toe that isn't going to make it will turn black and fall off. I think maybe she doesn't realize how long it's been since this happened (assuming that this injury occurred on the night of the raccoon attack).

It looks to me like the wound has scabbed over. If this is right I don't think that washing the wound is going to help, and the attempt might actually re-open the wound which you don't want. An open wound is an entry point for bacteria, and washing it or treating it with disinfectant will help prevent infection. But a closed wound isn't letting anything in including disinfectants. It's been long enough since the injury that if he was going to get an infection he would probably be showing symptoms by now.

We can only speculate on what caused the injury, but I think it might actually be a bird bite. I think you said before that Moon was limping the morning after the attack - does this seem like the same problem or something different? Because you've also said you thought that Cloudia did it.

If it's from the attack, the raccoon probably didn't bite him because he was probably grabbing for birds with his front paws not his mouth, although it's possible that he might have nicked Moon's toe with his claw. During the attack there would have been a lot of panicked birds flapping around in a fairly small area, and any time they contacted each other they may have tried to bite, because they knew something was touching them but didn't know if it was a friend or foe. So Moon could have been bitten by another bird during the attack.

If it's definitely from the night of the attack, it worries me is that it's still bothering him after all this time. I agree with Casey that it looks like it could be broken. Bird bones start to knit very fast, and if it's healed in the wrong position it might cause permanent pain. If this turns out to be true, it would be best to see a vet about possibly re-setting the bone or even amputating the toe to stop the pain. That may sound drastic, but birds can get along pretty well with a missing toe, and it's much harder for them to deal with constant pain.

If you think the injury might be much more recent, there might be time to splint it into a better position. Casey has experience with do it yourself bird splints, and she wrote a sticky thread about it at http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32917 and also on her forum at http://www.feathertalk.proboards.com/th ... -splinting I don't know whether they're identical or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:54 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I don't know what to say really.
Have you given your bird a good spray?
Looks like its healed to me.. don't worry, birds can
adapt and get around with much worse injuries than
yours have, just hopefully he isn't in pain.
Is he eating/ drinking well. does he seem better to you?
Does he seem back to how he was, before the attack?
Can you look at the wing?
Cuddle him up in a soft towel, and gently look and tell us what you can see there.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]