Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Concerned with Jaid
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:31 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Beaky is fine, but something just feels off with Jaid. Beaker is enjoying Jaid's being quiet today, so he practiced his singing, which he normally never does with Jaid around, since Jaid will normally outdo him. I don't know, I just don't feel 100% about him. He's a little fluffier (not full out sick puffy, just slightly fluffier), has perfect almond shaped eyes instead of his round circle eyes and I just caught him full out sleeping on the floor. Not puffed and sitting, I mean he assumed full sleeping position. Head under wing and all that. Beaker was doing it too, but he was just playing follow the leader. He is acting perfectly normal. But Jaid came off of the floor and is slowly but steadily chowing down on his pellets. But I mean he's eating quite a normal amount, so that's good right? Sorry I'm a million questions a minute, but I am a worrier.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Concerned with Jaid
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It's good that he's eating, but that doesn't guarantee that everything is OK. It's possible that he just feels tired today. Keep an eye on him, and if he still seems 'off' tomorrow it might be a good idea to see the vet. Does his poop seem normal?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:12 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

It's a pretty good size poop. But there is a lot everywhere, so I think Beaker may have helped out with that.

But hmm... I was just informed Q-Tip kept coming in and out and the cat door makes a noise, and she was moving around constantly. Can getting a lousy nights sleep effect him by like acting like he is?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, that could make him more tired than usual. With birds, odd noises in the night aren't just an annoying wake-up, it's "be worried because it might be a predator" time. Hopefully he's just making up for lost sleep right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:16 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

OK, that takes some stress off my mind. Hoping it's that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:21 am 
Quaker
Quaker

He is still like this today. He wasn't screaming to be let out this morning and his eyes are still almond shaped and he's still fluffy. I'm concerned now, so I'm moving him into a small, comfortable cage, away from Beaker into my room so that way he can rest and I can keep him warm and monitor him. Does that sound like a good idea?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:59 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Sound the best idea to me... just keep an eye on him, if your worried see the avian vet... if nothing is wrong it will put your mind to rest...
Keep us updated...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It does sound like a good idea. You could also heat half the cage, either by putting a heating pad under part of it or covering one end with a towel and shining a lamp on it so the heat from the bulb goes into the cage. That way he can choose the area with the temperature he likes best.

I don't know whether your circumstances allow it, but I would take him to the vet if possible. Birds can go downhill VERY fast, and better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

I am going to move him separately now. I had moved their big cage into my room for the whole day while I was at school to give them time to make up for missed sleep. I told myself if he still hasn't changed when I get home from school, I am going to move him into a small, comfortable cage.

This morning, he didn't want to come out and always screams for me when he hears me in the kitchen. I noticed he made a chirp and I opened the door, and he stepped up and just sat on top of his cage. He always flies around the room within a minute of being out. He just sat quietly. But this is why I am confused, when he hears a noise, like Beaker dropping something, he perks up, like his crest goes up and his eyes become round again and moves his crest, even sometimes shrieks. But after about 10 seconds he goes almond eyed again. When I came home from school, he didn't scream when he heard me come in. He hardly even wanted his kiss. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:37 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I would be very worried too, if I was in your place. In my personal experience a bird who eats means nothing: when Yoghi was ill he ate like a horse to compensate the calories used to keep warm and probably because he wasn't absorbing enough nutrients due to the internal organs not working 100%.
I am not saying that Jaid is that sick, absolutely, but just that a bird who eats can be poorly too.
Did you weigh him? In most cases when they are sick they lose weight.
I hope he will be better soon, but maybe a vet visit is the only way to know for sure.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next