Page 7 of 7 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: What happened?!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I was hoping you'd say you were going to build a new one! If you remodeled the old one that would put more limits on what you can do. With a new one you can go for a completely new design if you want to.

When you have the food service from outside you need a safe design so birds can't escape when the food door is open. One way to do that is to have your food doors inside a safety corridor, so if a bird comes through the opening it will still be inside. Here's a picture of my aviary's safety corridor, looking through the door to the outside toward the inner door. If you made the safety corridor wider and longer than this you could roll a small cart right into it with all your food supplies in it. The food doors would be on the left side in this particular aviary, leading from the safety corridor into the bird-inhabited section.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:14 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Carolyn, I'm relativity sure your house must be held up by your bird structures alone. My tiny house could never compare.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The aviary doesn't actually reach all the way up to the porch roof, although it looks like it does in the picture. This is a good thing, because I put the aviary on wheels so I could move it around. Right now it's on the porch because it's too freakin' hot outside to put it in the sun, and the birds start looking overheated almost immediately even in the cloth-shaded part of the aviary. They're a lot more comfortable in the deeper shade of the porch. But during the cooler months I put it out on the patio where they can catch some direct sunlight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:59 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I was not judging anyone by age...
Just trying to be helpful.
Sorry you felt I wasn't helping.. oh well, I cant win em' all!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:32 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
The doubled doors are a great idea. I was actually thinking of making a sliding food door. But I don't know how. I am also going to make a removable wall that separates the males and females.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:08 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Jan wrote:
I was not judging anyone by age...
Just trying to be helpful.
Sorry you felt I wasn't helping.. oh well, I cant win em' all!

Exactly. But sometimes people don't want to be helped, and after all it's his choice so there's nothing else we need to say about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A removable partition in the aviary is something that you need pretty badly lol, with feeding stations in both sections. You can start talking to your grandfather and other people about possible ideas and start making some preliminary plans. If the weather won't let you start building right away it will provide more time for the plan to evolve, so it's not all bad if there's a delay.

Will the new aviary be in the same location as the old one, or in a different location? If it's in the same location the birds will probably have to move indoors during the construction phase and your mom will probably want this period to be as short as possible lol. So you'll need to make all the plans in advance and then build it during a time frame when the weather will let you work all day.

If it's going to be in a different location the birds can stay where they are during construction and you can take it slower. If there's a time of day when the location is in the shade that might be a good time to work, or in the early mornings or late afternoon when the sun is less intense. You could work on weekends in the fall if it's not practical to do it sooner. The old aviary sounds like a dangerous place so it's desirable to replace it as soon as possible, but the weather puts practical limitations on outdoor work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:58 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
The aviary will be in the same location. My birds are going to have to be in those stupid tiny cages until we finish it. :( :( :(

Page 7 of 7 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7