It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Trilly had the Suprelorin implant!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:50 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Just a brief recap: Trilly was hospitalised twice these last two months because she couldn't pass her eggs on her own.
After the second time the vet proposed a Suprelorin implant and I decided to go for it. One word for it: expensive!

Now. this is what happened after the implant.
The vet gave me a few instructions to follow:
1. 72 hours constant light
2. keep her under supervision to check any behaviour change
2. keep her away from Frank (her husband)
4. give her 0.1 ml of something called R-Leaves once a day

The implant is placed on her back, and quite difficult for her to reach, it was introduced with a HUGE syringe. The small hole is then closed with glue. She needed to be put to sleep for a really short time, probably one or two minutes, and when she was brought back to me she was unsteady on her legs for a couple of minutes and then she was back to her normal self, alert and lively as usual.

I was able to follow all the instructions, apart from separating her from Frank; they were calling each other constantly and the vet told me that even the call is enough to activate the hormones, so it didn't make sense to stress them out uselessly. So Frank stayed with her. I would have needed to rehome him temporarily and I didn't know where, so it wasn't an option.

The vet told me a very interesting thing: the 72 hour constant light works on females' hormones but not on males! I had no idea.

I kept them both outside the bird room, in my living room together with other 4 birds so that they'd have a calm environment but not be completely alone, and they stopped calling the flock almost immediately, thank god.

The vet told me that even though the 72 hour light doesn't work on males, the B-Leaves does, so I have been given that to Frank too (and Bubu who is unbearable these days lol).
B-Leaves is a blend of red palm fruit oil with red raspberry leaves and red raspberry extract, all organic; my vet told me that it would help both the implant to kick in and reduce the hormones level.

The first three days it was a nightmare, they both were super-hormonal and actually made all the other birds in the room hormonal as well. I was sure that the implant hadn't worked and, believe you me, I wanted to cry (which I actually did lol) but the vet told me that usually it kicks in after about ten days, so I tried to stay positive.
Then, almost suddenly, the 4th day they calmed down. They stopped trying to mate, and stopped looking constantly for dark places to nest in.

Yesterday I reintroduced them in the bird room and they are definitely happier now that they are with their flock again.
How long is this gonna last, I don't know. In theory the implant should last between three and nine months.

At this point, I feel I did all I could for Trilly. She is still taking the "medication" which seems to do its job. I never heard of this concoction before but, based on Bubu's behaviour (who is still taking it too), it seems to work in a positive way.

Wish me luck! If this doesn't work I have basically exhausted all my choices and won't be able to help her anymore.

Post subject: Re: Trilly had the Suprelorin implant!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:48 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Wow your having a bad time with the birds... I bet it was expensive... but gotta be worth it in the long term... hope all goes well with it for you and the birds...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:52 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Wow! That was a lot to go through. I do hope things stay better for you and for Trilly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:24 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I wish you all luck. That sounds like you have been very busy these last few weeks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I hope things continue to go well. The implant is supposed to be pretty good, but personally I have no confidence in Releaves. It's basically an "alternative" product with zero science behind it, and not even good folklore to support it. Raspberry leaf tea is traditionally used in human women to ease childbirth and help with certain 'female' problems. There's not too much research on it and the results were inconclusive, and if it has any benefit at all it's pretty modest.

But here's the kicker: it's supposed to be a fertility enhancer in humans not a birth control herb, and the claim that it helps prevent egg laying was basically pulled out of thin air to help sell the product. They tell you to use it in conjunction with 72 hours of continuous light, which IMO is what really causes the hormone-reducing effect. Light-cycle disruptions are a good way to confuse the bird's body and make it decide that breeding isn't a good idea right now, and it works on both hens and cocks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:30 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Lol Tielfan when I was writing this post I was thinking of your comments : I was sure that R-Leaves wouldn't encounter your approval :D
This is not the first time we had a disagreement on "alternative" treatments and won't be the last for sure, I know how much you base all your knowledge on proven science and chemicals, I respect it but I also have seen (on myself) how things not strictly scientifically proven have given great results.
This stuff is relatively inexpensive so I don't see the big financial gain behind it.
Only time will tell.

One thing confuses me a bit : is the implant supposed to stop the broody mood or just stop the hen laying eggs?
Reading about it I noticed that some people say that their hens stop laying eggs but maintain a "mommy" state of mind,like preparing the nest and check that nobody disturbed it.
All very confusing!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The implant is supposed to reduce her hormone levels. The effect it has on her behavior will depend on how much the hormone levels go down. If it goes down a little bit she'll stop laying eggs but will still act kind of nesty. If it goes down a lot there'll be no breeding-related behavior at all.

My main objection to Releaves being marketed for controlling egg laying is that this is completely outside the traditional uses for raspberry leaf. If they were marketing it to make egg laying easier and improve fertility, that would fit in with the traditional use. The traditional use hasn't been disproven so I can't say that it wouldn't be helpful for these purposes. But selling it to do something that nobody could reasonably expect it to do is a little over the top IMO. There are traditional birth control herbs and raspberry leaf isn't one of them. The traditional birth control herbs are kind of dangerous though so I don't blame the company for staying away from them. But Trillie could actually use some help making egg laying easier if the implant doesn't work, so maybe it'll do some good that way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:12 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
So how is Trilly doing?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:44 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

She is fine, definitely calmer. But they are both lookin for nesting and I had to literally ELIMINATE every hole, crevice, box... Plus closing the space under the bed with a wall of bricks lol
She managed to get inside ones, from behind the mattress, I had to remove some bricks to let her out... I think she got scared because she didn't do it ever again!
I am about to move the bird room to the living room and this will surely distract them for a while... I try to keep them always wondering what the next day will bring :D
Phisically she's absolutely fine, touch wood, no egg binding scares for now, thank you very much for asking!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:18 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Steph
Gave happy chirps: 71 times
Got happy chirps: 33 times
Barbara...You really go all out for your birds. Good for you and them.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next