All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Clipping
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:21 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Coyote is growing out his initial clip pretty quickly, it was 5 feathers on each wing. He's flying around more and is a very good flier. He has never bumped into anything and maneuvers around our little house really well but I'm afraid as his feathers continue to come back, he'll start to gain too much speed and he'll start losing control.

Of course his feathers aren't growing back symmetrically, so I'm wondering when I should clip him again. I think I just want to clip the first two feathers this time around, so he can still fly around well but not fast. I am so loathe to do this though, as all of is flight feathers are clear, so he looks so much more pied now that they're growing in... they're so lovely.

I just don't know when I should clip him... should I wait til he has all of his feathers fully grown back in first? I feel confident doing it myself, I have clipped my budgies several times and I was watching Carolyn as she clipped his when I got him, so I think I'm OK doing it myself. Or am I? Is clipping a 'tiel somehow different than clipping the budgies?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Clipping
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The clipping process is basically the same for any parrot species, and you can do it any time you like.

Coyote learned to fly very well as a fledgling. He won't lose control as he gets more feathers but he will get faster, and if he tries to fly through window glass someday it could be fatal. Birds don't understand the concept of windows very well; they can learn that there's a barrier there but sometimes they forget, especially when they're spooked. Several years ago I lost a beloved bird because he tried to fly through a window that he knew perfectly well was there.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]