Page 5 of 9 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Incident with Cuddles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:10 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
thank you ladies.
I called the same vet and she said I could give more than 1 drop of Calcium.... 4 drops instead of 1... she never asked concentration of the one I have... I am skeptical about it...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:51 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
I would call back and ask. She should have asked, if there are lots of different concentrations of liquid calcium.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
A little bit of yogurt is OK for birds since the lactose has already been mostly broken down. It isn't likely to cause any problems except for super sensitive individuals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:43 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I bought today Oasis Alive and Well Fizz tab stress preventative for birds. The tablets dissolve in drinking water and provide probiotics, vitamins and electrolytes, but I am not sure if any good amount is getting consumed. Birds are conservative, and water looks (and smells, I bet) a little different. Сuddles wanted to drink, I gave her bowl with dissolved tablet but she changed her mind about drinking. then I gave her regular water and she drank.
Is yogurt for probiotics or calcium? I hope I will get my liquid calcium from the Morning bird soon enough.
Cuddles... still looks not quite well but she now flies from me (and landing well) so it's not very easy to catch her. Also she resists when I try to give her calcium. I can feel that she has some force. I don't know about her eggs... She again has a bum like on the last picture I posted, maybe not so big. She is always on both feet (not a good sign) but at least she preens a lot. She looks skinnier than before. She ate some food today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:59 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I am so sorry, Chipper :(
Don't beat yourself up, I know what it means not to have enough energy to constantly care for everyone, sometimes it's just overwhelming.
As you said it's quite strange that the other bunnies weren't also freaking out... Is it possible that Snowball had some other health problems?
I am really very sorry, and I hope that Cuddles will get better soon. What the vet said when he saw her? If I understand correctly you brought her yesterday
Edit : sorry I didn't read the latest posts so my assumption that she was at the vets yesterday is obviously wrong

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yogurt is suggested mostly for the probiotics but it will provide some calcium too.

It sounds like she's starting to feel better so that's good. I hope she continues to improve.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:07 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Cuddles is slowly returning to being herself. I can say that immediate crisis is certainly over, but time still needed for her to return back to completely normal. I think her body was exhausted. She still doesn't like to eat with younger birds around, but at least she is eating. Now Trillie is my worry. His energy seems to be down, but I guess he may also be tired from raising so many chicks. When I open the cage in the morning, he often chooses to stay in the cage instead of flying out. Well, maybe he thinks this is a good time to eat by himself :)
I give Cuddles liquid calcium for birds, 2 drops a day. How long will she need it? Does Trillie need it too? Carolyn, how do you use liquid calcium? I drip some on top of sprouted seeds but not all of them eat sprouted seeds. Drinking water?

Barbara thank you. Folks on rabbit forum said there is a possibility that Snowy died of a natural cause but its really hard to say from the pictures. if somebody wants to see, here is my thread. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=84060. Yesterday another rabbit wasn't eating and I was very worried for her. They can fall into GI stasis easily when they are not eating and it's very dangerous (I didn't know birds are different and it's OK for them not to eat). But she is eating today, thank you, Thumperina.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you've been using the liquid calcium for several days it would be good to go to a less frequent schedule now - maybe once a week. Too much calcium can build up in the body and cause problems so you don't want to overdo it. At this point you've probably made up for the deficiency, and I assume that she has stopped laying eggs since you haven't said anything about it recently.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:59 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

no more eggs so far. but I am worried for Trillie. He is not sick but obviously doesn't have much energy. I hope that taking them out would help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is he molting by any chance? Parent birds frequently molt after they've finished raising babies, and it takes energy to do this. Keep an eye on him to make sure he's OK, and let him relax. He's earned a nice vacation.

Page 5 of 9 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next