All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 9 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Incident with Cuddles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:45 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Today I counted all the birds when they were out of the cage and saw only 9. Normally when somebody is missing it means I just need to look more attentively. She wasn't anywhere. Then I heard some tiny noises from refrigerator area. She fell thru between the fridge and the wall (on the side of the fridge). She was stuck in that narrow gap in an awkward position not being able to move. I was scared for her. The fridge is very heavy and can't be moved due to some built-in furniture on another side. Thanks God, I was able to get her out quickly but I was scared for her condition. She seems to be OK, though she was very quiet probably because of the shock. I took her to the cage to rest.
I will need to reconsider safety of that area.

Post subject: Re: Incident with Cuddles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:45 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Oh, how scary!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:14 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Something similar happened to my bird too. It was really scary.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:17 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

and what you think? she is in that area again! (her cage arrest is over LOL)
I know why she is attracted: there is a shelf some distance above the fridge that makes a nice dark area on top of the fridge and under the shelf. I just cleaned the top of the fridge (of course there is lots of stuff there) and put some boxes to block her from there. f course she can probably chew thru the boxes but this measure is temporary until I come up with better idea. Oh bird, life doesn't teach you anything!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:19 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I always wondered, are their wings totally flexible in the shoulder?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Their shoulders are more flexible than ours but there are limits, and if they get twisted too far they'll be injured.

Can you put something in that space to keep her out? Like wadded up newspaper or an old blanket. Or put up a piece of wood or cardboard in a way that blocks the opening. Be aware of the refrigerator's ventilation needs and don't interfere with that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:01 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Steph
Gave happy chirps: 71 times
Got happy chirps: 33 times
Chipper wrote:
I always wondered, are their wings totally flexible in the shoulder?

They're are not. I know from experience. Last summer Peach dislocated her "shoulder" to the tune of over $500. She had to go to her vet twice a week for almost a month. She really went through a lot of pain having physical therapy after the wing was set. Ever since then she hates for me to take her out of her cage and won't let me scritch her head.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:42 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

oh that's sad, Peach's mom!

I am still concerned about Cuddles. I described her yesterday, and I can add that she mated with Trillie later in the evening (which makes me assume she was OK?) Today I would say that she is calmer than usually and not so well coordinated, even sleepy? She let me pick her up which is usually a problem (she steps on my hand but doesn;t let me much) to clean her wing when I noticed some poop on it. Also, when other birds panicked and flew off, she also flew off but then immediately dropped to the floor and stayed on the floor until I picked her up. You know landing on the floor on purpose is different from what she did - she crashed on the floor. It seemed that she couldn't control her flight very well (but it was in the evening and she was flying OK all day). She looked really tired by the evening so I took her to the cage first, and she didn't mind and even stayed in the cage with door open.
I wonder if she laid en egg that left her forceless. I didn't see any eggs but I was busy and didn't really look except for the living room floor.
I wonder if egg could break inside her when she fell between the fridge and the wall> What would be the symptoms?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:35 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Yes, she isn't being herself in the morning. She looks very round. Doesn't move a lot, but she has eaten some food. Sitting in one spot with her eyes almost closed. When she flew, I noticed she again landed or crashed low, almost on the floor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:54 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

took her to the vet but it didn't clear anything. The vet was avian vet recommended to me, really far away from us, and it took 4 hours for the round trip, and we hated it! She didn;t even have an XRAy! She said it could be injury from the fall (this is what I think as she can't land properly), she said she is unable to say if the bird is egg bound, or it could be internal problem with digestion as her dropping don't look too good.
She gave her Okcitochin shot (not sure for the spelling), and gave me antibiotics to give her if she doesn;t improve.
She is not eating. I think she is suffering from the injury from that fall and this is why she is not eating much. Plus she is stressed from the trip

Page 1 of 9 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next