Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Opening beak over and over
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:12 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
And no, it's not beak grinding. For the past week or so, Poppy has been doing this particular behavior. He just opens his beak. Over and over and over. Whenever he's not eating or sleeping, he does that wierd beak thing.

I am starting to think perhaps he has an issue with his crop?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Opening beak over and over
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Does he stretch his neck out a little when he does it? He probably doesn't have something stuck in his throat after all this time, but it's possible that he has some kind of irritation in his throat and is trying to clear it out as if there was a foreign object in there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:43 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Nope. He's not adjusting his crop. Just moving just his beak over and over. Every day for the past week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:54 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I hope it isn't anything serious. Poptart is in my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:15 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Crud, I hope he's just being weird and decides it's no longer interesting to do that starting... now. Seriously though, hope it's nothing serious! If you think it's a crop thing, do you think adding a little ACV to his water might be worth a try? Maybe increasing the acidity in there a bit for a week or so might be all it takes to make his crop inhospitable to yeast or bacteria, if that's what's going on. If it's something else, I don't think the ACV can do any harm.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:31 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

I could do that. I just don't know what's up with that. I'm just guessing a crop issue. I have no idea with what else it could be. I'd ask on TB, but I hardly got a reply when I announced baby Poppy almost drowned in his water dish and it scared me silly. I would waaay rather hear an answer from you guys cause I don't know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:48 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Well you know I know exactly J and S (fill in the blanks) about this kind of stuff so I'm just troubleshooting based on my limited knowledge. A) ACV for a couple of weeks in the water won't hurt and will increase the acidity in the GI tract and possibly the rest of body fluids as well. B) Lots of critters don't like higher acidity. C) Good GI tract bugs are used to acid and probably won't respond much to a couple of weeks of ACV in water. Therefore, I see possible benefit if it's a crop/mouth/throat thing and little in the way of risk. I think the risks involved with ACV is when it's used non-stop and even then, I don't think it's all that harmful since there are a lot of people that seem to swear by it at all times for general health and well being.

I totally missed the thing where he almost drowned in his water dish! How scary and how in the heck?! Budgies is weird.

Ninja likes to pretend he's gotten a toe stuck in one of the toys hanging in his cage and then thrash around like he's panicking. Then he hops off and goes on with his day. The first time he did this, I jumped up thinking, OMG! His toe is caught! and that freaked him out so he hopped off. Now I see him do it all the time. I swear, if you saw him do it, you'd think he was in distress because he has his wings going like crazy and his head is swinging around like nuts and his other leg is flailing around... Freakin' weird hobbies these birds like to have, I swear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:23 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
He's not just yawning....
they do this on times, a lack of
fresh air, or when its hot weather...
Just an idea... mine do it during the
summer months....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:20 am 
Quaker
Quaker

No Jan, he isn't yawning. He does it over and over all day.

Yes, when I first got him as a 3 month old baby, he slipped headfirst in his water dish and couldn't get out. If I wasn't there he would have perished. When I asked if he would been okay on TB, I hardly got a response.

I just don't know why he's doing that. It's not a quirk for him to be going on all day for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:30 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Is it possible to post a video of him doing it? I'm curious to see what it actually looks like. I'm still all about trying ACV in the water for a week or so.

Also, your story of him tipping over into his water dish and getting stuck just made me realize that the water dish I use for the budgies is exactly the kind where something like this could actually happen. It's covered to keep the poop out but maybe I should pop the top off since I change it and wash it daily anyways and it's towards the top of their cage so pooping in it would be minimal anyways. I would hate to find one of them stuck in there like that, scary! I'm glad you found him in time.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next