It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 2 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: One of my babies is sick!
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
When a bird is in distress it can be really difficult to know what to do. The vet's office is where you can get the best knowledge and treatment, but the trip to get there is stressful. We have to make our best guess about what we should do, and hope we made the right choice. It sounds like your baby is recovering so hopefully it will all turn out OK.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:07 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Chipper wrote:
thank you. you can say whatever you want. that's fine. I know I am not the best owner and there is a lot to improve.

Chipper, the comment I edited out was not about your care of your birds, which sounds fine. It was about the comment that you edited out of your post. You have a daughter, you must know that she can read this stuff at some point and what if she wants to become a vet or a doctor, etc? Anywho, that's all I'm going to say about that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
thanks everyone. That's my lack of experience too. If you ever deal with concussion, you would know what to expect if it happens again (better to prevent the new one though)

My biggest concern is that what if she stays this way? I wouldn't say that she is improving...She was drinking yesterday - she doesn't eat or drink at all now. She is sitting on top of the toy where they normally sleep looking at me very unfriendly and wild.

Cloudy skies, I got it right then (that I deleted the correct thing LOL) but it's still darn true for me :(

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:43 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

something interesting just happened. I came back from errands, and our girl was sitting like I left her - on top of the toy looking very sad. I noticed some drops on the cage bars next to her, then looked at her beak and realized she vomited. This is what probably happened at night too, because her sister who was sleeping next to her had some drops of formula on her back in the morning (I was really surprised of that, now its explained)
Anyway, after she vomited, she also passed out a big poop, of course it wasn't a regular looking poop but it was poop with all parts that should be in poop. She didn't poop for a long time before this.
Right after this, she became very active inside the cage, like she suddenly recalled what she is supposed to be doing. Normally they climb inside the cage impatiently wanting out, and she was doing just so! I gave her some Gatorade (not sure if anything got in but I hope she got some), then I tried to feed her formula. Now she was acting herself, still weak but certainly much better. My success with formula wasn't any better compared to her baby time. She even wiggled her way out and flew to the curtain rod being normally coordinated. We were in my daughter's room that they are not very familiar with. I picked her up without any problems though. She also was cheerfully chirping to her flock. I rolled her cage back to the living room. I will keep watching her.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:44 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

what except formula can I try feeding her?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Absolutely anything that she's willing to eat as long as it isn't dangerous! Offer her millet spray, sunflower seeds, anything that she likes. Human foods, if she likes them. She needs to drink too, Gatorade is great if you can get it into her. If she'll eat seeds out of your hand, you could soak a few seeds in Gatorade and hold them right in front of her to tempt her into eating them - that will provide some food and liquid at the same time. If she won't eat at first you could give the other birds some millet spray while she watches, and then offer some to her.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:33 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you all.
she started to eat a little bit on her own yesterday night. She also slipped out of me in the evening after she took medicine and I decided not to stress her by trying to catch to put in the cage and let her spend 1 hour with the flock (she was OK)
Today she really wanted out, I let her out and she went straight to the kitchen table where they have bowl with chips (good quality multigrain chips). She was eating for a long time, coming back again and again. Chips are a little bit salty (about 80mg per serving, kind of low sodium) so I guess she is trying to make up for the loss of electrolytes and whatever else. She is with the flock, and they are having a lazy day, taking it easy (no crazy games but lots of naps). She seems OK, not as energetic as usual of course, but I can see that she is certainly getting back to normal.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:45 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

while she is getting back to normal, the reason of her illness really puzzles me. If she ran into something, this is one story. But if it was toxicity, I need to know about it. I just saw that one of the birds chipped paint on top of the front screen door on the outside side. They like to sit on top of the open screen door when they go out to the porch, and this is how they got access to chew paints there. They also try to chew brick that the house is made from (and the house is OLD).
They love to get inside semi-sphere shades of the table lamps I'am using in the living room. I was wondering how they don't get burnt by the bulb but then I realized that my spiral bulbs are lukewarm. But they contain Mercury according to the package. Another possibility! Are these bulbs not safe to use around birds? I would love birds to leave the lamps alone but I can only wish.
Our sick girl used to love to swing on the chain she discovered as part of the front door. Who knows what the chain is made of?
I just thought - should I scrub screens that we made with hardware cloth using sponge with rough surface to help reduce Zink?

Last night somebody rang our door bell at 3 o'clock in the morning. I asked who it was and what they needed, and the man's voice asked if I could give him a knife... what a nice request LOL We think it was a teenager who wanted to steel my bike that was locked outside the house. But the doorbell by itself in the middle of the night would probably be able to scare birds to death again.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:58 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Chipper wrote:
Last night somebody rang our door bell at 3 o'clock in the morning. I asked who it was and what they needed, and the man's voice asked if I could give him a knife... what a nice request LOL We think it was a teenager who wanted to steel my bike that was locked outside the house. But the doorbell by itself in the middle of the night would probably be able to scare birds to death again.

Ew, creepy. I find myself in that position whenever the doorbell rings and I'm home alone, I crawl on the ground like a ninja and duck under windows to avoid being spotted.

I am no expert, but it sounds like there was a high probability she was poisoned.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:05 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Quote:

That's so freaky!

Page 2 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next