All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: One of my babies is sick!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:22 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
One cinnamon girl, Bubbles, who is 3.5 months old is acting ill!
when I let them out in the morning I didn't notice anything unusual, then they all were in the porch aviary playing when I noticed that she was sitting closing her eyes (not usual). I think it was her dropping that I later saw that was diarrhea looking. In the house she sat on the ceiling fan, I saw her coming down to the top cage twice for a drink of water. After that she was sitting not moving looking ill. I picked her up from the fan - she was very strange in my hands like she can't control her muscles very well. I placed her into cage. Then she did strange moves with her tail that got me very scared - I was just reading that tail bobbing indicates difficulty to breath. I called the vet and taking her soon. I put white paper under her to see her droppings. She had couple of light colored watery droppings, no dark. She also was sitting with bum in her rear like she would have an egg.
Pray for her please.

Post subject: Re: One of my babies is sick!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:18 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

update. Took her to the vet.
When I was getting close to the vet clinic (and this wasn't the place I took Cuddles on a long trip! this clinic is really close to my house), I saw that she did something to her wing while she was sitting in the pet carrier (I have a pet taxi type). It wasn't along her body on the side like it should be, it was kind of under her! I never seen anything like this... and got really scared.
I can say that she doesn't eat but she does drink. SO her stool is light colored watery. They took my paper towel with her sample to test. When the doc arrived and I got her out of the carrier she was like a piece of cloth - you can do whatever you wanted with her! I don't know if you know what I mean... it was really scary and I said that she was in shock (from either her illness or was scary of the vet clinic, or both). He examined her, stool sample came clear. He said that he didn't like reaction in her right eye, so he said that possibly she had some kind of trauma. They gave her anti inflammatory (name later) and said to keep her isolated.
She is in the cage now, sitting still like in trans and still not eating. She made a little sound of recognition to the flock when I brought her home.
How long do you think I should keep her isolated and caged? She is not used to be eating in the cage... I will be giving her some bird formula later today.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:27 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

another thing. Vet researched about hardware cloth, zinc, etc and called me after the visit. He said that hardware cloth can be very dangerous especially if birds digest tiny particles. I don't know what to do...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:18 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

After I brought her home, she sat locked in the cage, she didn't eat or poop for hours (I had to go to a meeting and was absent for a few hours having paper towel to catch her droppings at the bottom, and cage full of food for her).
In the cage, she could relocate herself to a different perch from time to time. I also saw her playing a little bit with the toy she was sitting next to (wow!!!). I saw her stretching in the evening - what a relief to see she was doing something regular to a bird.
I made some baby formula, she was still pretty passive when I got her in my hands to feed. She even ate some formula. She wanted out of the towel but not so badly. Finally, she just sat quiet, wrapped in the towel, and ate some formula (that was rather cold by that time). It's hard to say how much she ate, not very much.
For the night, I decided I would house her in her regular night cage (she spent a day in the large flight cage) and give her a company of her cinnamon sister, just to cheer her up a little bit. Those two are friends and normally don't fight. Sometimes I think that she would heal better if she wouldn't isolated from the flock (I even was thinking that she is not eating because she is locked, just as protest). Her sister came into the cage very excited and started with jumping from the cage bottom to the high perch where our injured girl was sitting. I immediately regretted about bringing another bird in but I left the two together.
I also can't believe how much nerves each illness costs me. Worrying for her was the only thing I was doing today. I would understand an "injury" (like foot or wing injury) but brain or head injury sounds very scary.
So, is her not eating OK, not life threatening? She was drinking a lot of water before the vet visit (after I saw she was acting odd) and even while she was at the vet (I mean, more than usual)
Vet mentioned to make a mix of honey and ground seed - is it a good recipe? Vet is not avian vet but he seems fairly good for emergencies. This is not the first time I am using him. I was bringing Trillie when he had foot injury and Snowball was there when he injured his eye.

Last edited by Chipper on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:39 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
edit: Nevermind. Sorry your bird is sick, I hope she gets better soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:02 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you. you can say whatever you want. that's fine. I know I am not the best owner and there is a lot to improve.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:23 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I am reading about concussion and it looks like one. I will certainly keep her isolated until she improves / has her appetite back. I needed to keep her alone tonight.
What should I feed her tomorrow? Electrolytes for drinking, right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It sounds like she is recovering but she needs to eat something. Birds have a fast metabolism and they need calories to keep going.

Electrolyte solutions can be very helpful. If you have any Pedialyte or Gatorade on hand you can give her some of that. If you don't have it you then here's a simple homemade recipe: http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/rehydrati ... ar=hw86827

Handfeeding formula is a great thing for her to eat. If she will take seeds from your finger, you can soak some seeds in the electrolyte solution then offer them to her on your fingertip. This will get both liquid and solid food in her. If she will eat honey and ground seed you can give that to her. Right now the important thing is for her to eat something that will give her energy and keep her functioning. The handfeeding formula would be my top choice but if she'd rather eat something else then give that to her.

I don't know whether she had an accident flying into something or if she ate something toxic, but these seem like the most likely options rather than an infection. With hardware cloth it's important to scrub it with vinegar and water in the beginning to get rid of all the loose bits of zinc, to prevent the birds from getting zinc toxicity. I remember that a while back you said you hadn't done this yet so it's possible that this caused it. If you haven't done it already, you need to scrub the wire before you let the birds out in that area again. Covering up large windows and anything else that a bird is likely to crash into would be good too. They don't understand glass very well, and even when they know there's a barrier there they tend to forget sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:23 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you thank you.
I rubbed wire with vinegar in the areas where I saw them climbing but I need to do certainly more than this.
I've read not to transport birds or not to take them to the vet while they are in shock and this is what I probably did. Wing droop, aloofness, weakness in legs and wings, loss of appetite all are the symptoms f concussion and she was having them today.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:20 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Steph
Gave happy chirps: 71 times
Got happy chirps: 33 times
I'm sorry to hear about your little bird having such a scare. Hope things keep getting better.

Page 1 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next