Page 4 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: EMERGENCY!! MY COCKATIEL ATE MY BRACE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
An all-seed diet isn't healthy. As Stephanie said, most cockatiels don't like fruit. But they do eat vegetables, and some nutritionally complete pellets would be an excellent addition to the diet too. I gave you some Nutriberries when you bought Coco, the seed ball things. They're nutritionally equivalent to pellets and it's usually very easy to get cockatiels to eat them, so if you can provide some of those it would be very good for your birds.

I have an article on the best cockatiel diet on the main website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... ldiet.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:33 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Not all cockatiels will like nutriberries though. Lucy didn't seem to care for them very much.

Pellets are good, though to make it feel more natural to the cockatiel, you could mix seed with veggies, pellets, and grains. The variety makes it feel closer to their natural wild diet, since they don't just eat the same kind of food in the wild all the time.

Most fruits aren't a part of a cockatiel's natural diets, except for low-growing ones like berries, since they're ground eaters, so your tiels may not respond well to fruits. Vegetables do have more nutritional than fruits alone do.

There are a variety of ways you can deliver all the nutritional needs to your bird. Try and find the one that works best for you, and your birds' taste.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Also, some birds will not seem to care for a certain food, so it can take some presenting skills to appease them. Mine will throw whole Nutriberries like a toy ball and try to hit each other with them. If I grind them like seeds, they are now food, not a toy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lucy had plenty of opportunity to learn about Nutriberries while she was with me, but I don't watch closely enough to know whether every chick is eating them or not. She's seen the adults scrambling for them often enough to know that they're desirable lol.

It usually works better to serve pellets in a different bowl than the seeds. When you mix them together the bird tends to pick out the seeds and eat them, and leave the pellets behind. That's the essence of foraging, to look at what's right in front of you and pick out the stuff you like best. When the pellets are in a different bowl and the bird is looking at what's right in front of it, seeds aren't one of the options.

It's best to serve veggies separately too because they're moist. Moist foods can have problems with mold and bacteria if they're left in the cage too long, and you'll be able to keep the seed in the cage longer if you keep it dry.

My birds are used to eating most of their vegetables foraging-style, clipped to the cage to sort of resemble an actual plant, and they don't care for veggies in a bowl except for corn kernels. You might be able to teach them to eat veggies from a bowl, but they didn't learn it with me lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:13 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Thank you! I will start to introduce veggies to them and see if i can get them to eat them. But, is there any food that cockatiels cant eat? Or any veggie? And also, ¿Are there any specific veggies that cockatiels enjoy most?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:29 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
http://www.cockatielcottage.net/tablefoods.html

Every bird is different but with my experience, broccoli and kale are big hits.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are some vegetables you need to avoid, mainly avocados and onion. Coco is already trained to eat vegetables that are clipped to the cage to look sort of like a plant. I don't watch carefully to know exactly which vegetables are eaten by which chick, but he probably likes to eat broccoli florets and leafy greens like chard, kale, cilantro, spinach, etc. He'll probably eat corn kernels from a dish too.

Clean fresh lawn grass is a very good "vegetable" for cockatiels but make sure it's chemical free - no pesticides or weedkillers. Don't pick grass next to a road where it'll be contaminated with car fumes, or from an area that's contaminated with dog poop or a lot of poop from wild birds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:03 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
tielfan wrote:
Clean fresh lawn grass is a very good "vegetable" for cockatiels but make sure it's chemical free - no pesticides or weedkillers. Don't pick grass next to a road where it'll be contaminated with car fumes, or from an area that's contaminated with dog poop or a lot of poop from wild birds.

I have some grass growing in my aviary... They don't keep it nice and short though, so don't shoot your golfball in it. You'll have a bit of a struggle searching for it.

(Also I noticed that my canaries use the long grass to make a nest in after I took out the nesting materials and nestboxes since I think 2 rounds of chicks is plenty)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:26 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
cinnamon bird on the picture looks exactly like my cinnamon girls (well mine are probably a bit slimmer LOL) - very pretty.
IS this Coco or somebody else?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The cinnamon pied girl nibbling grass in my picture is Heidi Piedy, one of last year's babies. She was a sweety.

Page 4 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4