Page 2 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: EMERGENCY!! MY COCKATIEL ATE MY BRACE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:08 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
The problem is that i dont live in the US, and where i live, there arent any available vets. They all close at 9 PM. I dont know what to do

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:22 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Search up an emergency vet. There should be a 24 hour emergency vet near your area, for situations like this. I know of a few, but I don't what part of town you live in (I'm assuming you live in tucson, considering you bought a bird from Carolyn)

But if he's acting perfectly fine, then chances are he'll be ok until tomorrow, and you can schedule an appointment with your vet, if an emergency vet is too far away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:45 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Dont tell Carolyn, but i brought Coco (Vesta) to Mexico
Hehehehe. Just kidding, she can know

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't think it's actually legal to take birds across international borders but what's done is done. Just don't tell the authorities lol.

It's very likely that Coco didn't actually eat the metal and it's on the floor somewhere, but you can deal with the situation by giving him some grit to eat - small bits of stone the size of sand or slightly larger. A scientific study on budgies found that grit was the best way to eliminate metal foreign objects that the bird had swallowed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19999761

You do want stone grit not oyster shell, which dissolves too quickly to be used as a grinding aid. This product is good if you can get it, since it contains bits of granite: http://www.kaytee.com/products/fortidie ... -birds.php But if commercial products aren't available then clean sand will work.

There's probably no need to panic but you do need to keep an eye on the situation. The metal must be something nontoxic because you couldn't have it in your mouth for months if it was dangerous. As a general rule birds can get rid of any hard objects that they swallow, either by regurgitating it or by passing it through the system.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:02 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thank you, i thought you were gonna get mad at me, hehehe... Im gonna see if i can order some granite or the sand you're talking about. But for now, he looks okay :D and i cant thank you enough, i got really scared because he swallowed it and i thought he was gonna choke and die :cry: but he looks okay! Thank you a lot! :thanks:

PS: I love buster, he's a fatty! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eating grit is normal behavior for cockatiels, and it's suspected that quite often when a parrot swallows something inappropriate like this, it's because they're trying to get grit. In this particular case though it might have simply been because the metal was shiny, and cockatiels like shiny things. Here's a story about a cockatiel that ate a large diamond and was fine (they don't say how big it actually was but I don't think it could have been all that big lol): http://web.archive.org/web/201007271222 ... grit.shtml

Obviously it's not desirable for your cockatiels to be eating pieces of metal, but it would have been a lot worse if it was a piece of broken glass. I still think it's most likely that he really dropped it on the floor, but it he actually did swallow it there's a good chance that he'll be OK. If it had any sharp edges that could be a problem, but hopefully the normal action of the gizzard will take care of it. It would still be a good idea to talk to a vet in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:32 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
If you think Buster's the fatty, you should see pictures of Shodu eating. :lol: She's a serious chow-hound. She has also taken on the nickname of "Velociraptor Shodu", which is a bit of an inside joke on the forum, so I've learned (Carolyn can fill you in on why she has that nickname).

Buster and Shodu are Lucy's (my bird) parents. She inherited some of Buster's sanity, and some of Shodu's crazy.

Also, a thing to remember about the grit is that you can't feed your bird too much, as it could hurt the bird. Sources tell me that 1/8 to 1/2 of a teaspoon might be enough. Anyone's allowed to correct me on this though, because I'm not really sure. I just know you need to provide a small amount.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:03 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Should there be grit available in the cage, for tiels at all times?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grit is a controversial subject and most people on the internet will tell you that you should never, ever give grit to a parrot. It looks to me like this is an overreaction to a potential problem that might not even really exist, similar to the way that some people will say that you should never feed seeds to a parrot because an all-seed diet is unhealthy. Cockatiels don't require grit but it is part of their natural diet, and presumably they have a reason for eating it. For anyone who's interested, I've written a long article on the subject describing what we really know about grit and the so-called risks associated with it: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... -grit.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Erik, how is Coco this morning? And your other bird Pip too, I've been wondering whether you were able to stop the shaking.

Page 2 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next