Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Poop poop poop!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:02 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Rio has been making A LOT of poops. I was talking to a friend while having him out and he was pooping at least 7 times in 5-10 minutes! I'm not even exaggerating. All of the poops look normal. He was making a lot though and I didn't even feed him while he was having that pooping spree.

He doesn't seem to make a lot in his cage, it's only when he is out on the bed. He made a lot of stains on the sheets and my pants but I caught most of the poops he made in my hand which did save myself a few stains.

Is this normal? He is 3 months old. My friend that I was on the phone with is a bird lover and she said she thinks it's just a baby thing. He is on a pelleted diet with a couple of nutriberries. The friend I was on the phone with said it could be from a lot of fiber which does make sense. I have the lafebers parrot pellets and the lafebers conure nutriberries. He did not have any fruits or veggies today (my bad).

Post subject: Re: Poop poop poop!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:33 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
CrazyConure wrote:
Rio has been making A LOT of poops. I was talking to a friend while having him out and he was pooping at least 7 times in 5-10 minutes! I'm not even exaggerating. All of the poops look normal. He was making a lot though and I didn't even feed him while he was having that pooping spree.

He doesn't seem to make a lot in his cage, it's only when he is out on the bed. He made a lot of stains on the sheets and my pants but I caught most of the poops he made in my hand which did save myself a few stains.

Is this normal? He is 3 months old. My friend that I was on the phone with is a bird lover and she said she thinks it's just a baby thing. He is on a pelleted diet with a couple of nutriberries. The friend I was on the phone with said it could be from a lot of fiber which does make sense. I have the lafebers parrot pellets and the lafebers conure nutriberries. He did not have any fruits or veggies today (my bad).

Does Rio get any seeds and grains I stopped feeding Tiko an all pelleted diet because its too high in protein and can cause certain problems like liver disease.She now gets pellets and seed and sometimes fruit and veg and grains.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Pellets are formulated to have an appropriate amount of protein. The formulas have been refined over the last few decades to help prevent problems. I don't think they have any more fiber in them than seeds do but they probably don't have any less either.

If he's not pooping much in his cage, it's possible that he doesn't want to poop there for some reason so he's saving it up for when he comes out. A lot of cockatiels do this when they're breeding - they seem to have a natural instinct that warns them not to poop too close to the nest, probably because a pile of poop at the base of a tree would be a signal to a predator that there's a nest up above. It's my understanding that conures sleep in their nest all year long, so they might have a similar instinct to not poop in or near their nest. You could try a search to see if there's any information along these lines. When breeding cockatiels leave the nest area they usually make one huge poop instead of a bunch of little ones, but maybe conures do it differently.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:46 am 
Banned
Banned

Tielfan an all pelleted diet is just as bad as a all seed diet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's what everyone says but it doesn't seem to be necessarily true. Some individual birds don't do well on an all-pellet diet but apparently others do fine. I certainly wouldn't feed my birds an all-pellet diet, but B isn't doing that either. Rio didn't get his veggies for one day which is not a big deal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:54 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
That's what everyone says but it doesn't seem to be necessarily true. Some individual birds don't do well on an all-pellet diet but apparently others do fine. I certainly wouldn't feed my birds an all-pellet diet, but B isn't doing that either. Rio didn't get his veggies for one day which is not a big deal.

I thought nutriberries are like pellets too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, Nutriberries are basically a type of pellet. But Rio is eating vegetables too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:01 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
Yes, Nutriberries are basically a type of pellet. But Rio is eating vegetables too.

Exactly and vegetables are adding more protein including the pellets and nutriberries see you get my point now hes getting too much protein.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's very little protein in vegetables like broccoli and carrots. They're a good source of vitamins, and also minerals to a lesser extent, but not protein or fat. To get much protein from plant sources you need to go to the grain and beans combination.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BTW pellets use the grain and legumes combination to provide protein. When you look at the ingredient list for a typical pellet you'll see several types of grain usually being combined with soybeans to make a complete protein. Some companies will use an alternate source like peanuts or peas, but soy is the richest source of some hard-to-find amino acids so it's the most popular. You usually don't see any kind of animal protein on the list like egg, meat or dairy because that's not how they roll.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next