Post subject: Re: Mango's Weight
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
tielfan wrote:
I get the impression that plumheads might vary a lot in size, because the internet shows such a wide range of weights. Feeling the keel bone is the best way to determine how appropriate a bird's weight is, but it's not easy for an inexperienced person to judge. Here's an article on the Feather Talk group that might help: http://feathertalk.proboards.com/thread ... s-keelbone

You cant see his keel bone but I will feel it to see if its sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You should always be able to feel the keelbone - if you can't it means the bird is too fat. But it shouldn't stick out too much either. I don't have any talent for judging it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:41 am 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
You should always be able to feel the keelbone - if you can't it means the bird is too fat. But it shouldn't stick out too much either. I don't have any talent for judging it myself.

I can feel it easily I dont know what it means by being sharp because real sharpness would probably break his skin lol but yeah I can feel it and by just looking at his stomach I cant see it but I see a line through his feathers.He is having his dinner now Carrots,Watermelon,Sprouts (the real sprouts Brussel sprouts lol.) a little bit of potato and lentils and the broccoli grassy sprout things.I saw a nice big weighing scale yesterday in the euro shop,cheap enough so ill get that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
A scale can tell you what your bird's weight is but it can't tell you how appropriate that weight is for this particular bird. A scale is very useful to have though. If you check your birds' weight regularly (like once a week) you'll be able to see whether there are any alarming trends, like a major weight gain or loss. If you breed your cockatiels next year, it's best to weigh the babies daily to make sure they're growing and gaining weight at an appropriate rate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 am 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
A scale can tell you what your bird's weight is but it can't tell you how appropriate that weight is for this particular bird. A scale is very useful to have though. If you check your birds' weight regularly (like once a week) you'll be able to see whether there are any alarming trends, like a major weight gain or loss. If you breed your cockatiels next year, it's best to weigh the babies daily to make sure they're growing and gaining weight at an appropriate rate.

Ill probably be weighing all my birds every day lol I find stuff like that fun lol.Ill check what the average weight of a plum head is and if hes lower than that ill know something is wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
It doesn't necessarily mean he's unwell just because he's smaller for his age. But yeah, it is a good idea to weigh birds regularly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:34 am 
Banned
Banned

CrazyConure wrote:
It doesn't necessarily mean he's unwell just because he's smaller for his age. But yeah, it is a good idea to weigh birds regularly.

I dont really think hes small I think its just his underweight thats making him look small.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2