PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:35 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Mel wrote:
:shrug: never heard of it.

I never heard of it until I joined that forum.Its a good replacement for pellets and you know exactly what your feeding.

Post subject: Re: Healthy Birds
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:44 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Cool butvill stick with pellets n veggies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:21 am 
Banned
Banned

Mel wrote:
Cool butvill stick with pellets n veggies.

Gloop would take a bit of your time to make so I stick to pellets and veg too and the reason why I dont feed both regularly is because it would be too much protein if you fed both together plus all the other stuff feeding like lentils.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
"stodge stuff" doesn't clarify the matter at all lol.

I don't see a source of vitamins D3 or B12 in that recipe so we know of two deficiencies right off the bat. Make that three actually, since there's nothing that's expected to supply an adequate amount of Omega 3 fatty acids. There's a high probability that it's deficient in calcium and possibly other minerals as well. But it's hard to determine that without a nutrient calculator, and the only one that I know of went offline a few weeks ago. The combination of grains plus beans/lentils probably supplies enough protein if they have enough beans/lentils in the mix, but getting enough methionine can be a problem and they don't use the best source of it which is soybeans. It looks great for vitamin A and probably has enough of most other vitamins too, but again we need the nutrient calculator to make that determination. The recipe doesn't give proportions for anything but the grain mix, and if there's too much or not enough of the other ingredients it will throw the nutrient content off. Including artichoke hearts is unnecessary, and seems absurdly lavish unless they're a lot cheaper in other places than they are here.

So this mix is NOT equal to the major pellet brands, since they are professionally formulated by people with PhDs in animal nutrition to contain adequate amounts of all the known essential nutrients. It's probably equal to or even better than crap brands like TOPS, which were formulated by people who don't know what they're doing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:06 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
"stodge stuff" doesn't clarify the matter at all lol.

I don't see a source of vitamins D3 or B12 in that recipe so we know of two deficiencies right off the bat. Make that three actually, since there's nothing that's expected to supply an adequate amount of Omega 3 fatty acids. There's a high probability that it's deficient in calcium and possibly other minerals as well. But it's hard to determine that without a nutrient calculator, and the only one that I know of went offline a few weeks ago. The combination of grains plus beans/lentils probably supplies enough protein if they have enough beans/lentils in the mix, but getting enough methionine can be a problem and they don't use the best source of it which is soybeans. It looks great for vitamin A and probably has enough of most other vitamins too, but again we need the nutrient calculator to make that determination. The recipe doesn't give proportions for anything but the grain mix, and if there's too much or not enough of the other ingredients it will throw the nutrient content off. Including artichoke hearts is unnecessary, and seems absurdly lavish unless they're a lot cheaper in other places than they are here.

So this mix is NOT equal to the major pellet brands, since they are professionally formulated by people with PhDs in animal nutrition to contain adequate amounts of all the known essential nutrients. It's probably equal to or even better than crap brands like TOPS, which were formulated by people who don't know what they're doing.

The woman on the forum Pajarita she feeds all her birds gloop I think she actually has a few different recipes you should go on the forum there is a few threads.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I looked at that forum several weeks ago and wasn't impressed with Pajarita. She seemed pushy and not as well informed as a number of other people that I know. I don't think we would get along well. That diet is certainly better than an all-seed diet, but it's lacking in some important nutrients.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:26 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Weren't you banned from there, Carolyn? I could have sworn you told me about the time you tried to help someone with a conure, and they told you to stop posting informational articles, or something.

Then again, there is more than one forum called the "parrot forum". One includes "The" in it (The parrot forum), and the other one is literally just "Parrot Forum".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:06 am 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
I looked at that forum several weeks ago and wasn't impressed with Pajarita. She seemed pushy and not as well informed as a number of other people that I know. I don't think we would get along well. That diet is certainly better than an all-seed diet, but it's lacking in some important nutrients.

She can sometimes be rude too and she admitted it that its her lifestyle its the way she is.You never really know who to ask for help with your bird lol especially if your on a few forums and get different information but mostly things I ask on this forum the same similar answers are giving on others but not on the Parrot forum.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I'm proud to say that I was banned from that group a couple of years ago for being too helpful. It looks like a lot has changed since then and I could easily rejoin with a different name, but I don't want to. From the little I saw of it last time I looked, I wasn't impressed with the quality of advice coming from a very active member or the self-righteous way she was delivering that advice.

I could probably get myself banned over there again by contradicting this advice and providing evidence to show that my information was superior to hers. But there's no point in doing this. I really have this evidence too, because I put a lot of effort into investigating claims and separating fact from fiction. I want my understanding of reality to be based on what actually appears to be true rather than what I would like to be true. People who prefer to believe in woo woo claims HATE me because of this, since I can provide science-based evidence that what they say is wrong and they have nothing to refute me with.

There are conflicting opinions about pretty much everything related to bird care. All you can do is evaluate both sides to the best of your ability and make a decision based on which side seems to be more accurate or what you think will work best in your situation. Decisions on wing clipping are mostly a matter of opinion and individual circumstances, because there are pluses and minuses on both sides.

Nutrition is much more of a hard-science issue. Either a food contains vitamin D3 or it does not, and this essential vitamin is simply not available in plant-based foods. Birds can make their own vitamin D if they spend enough time outdoors due to a chemical reaction between the skin and the UVB rays in sunshine, and this is where wild birds get their vitamin D. But there are a lot of people who can't take their birds outdoors very often, and a lot of high-latitude locations where there's not enough UVB to do any good during the winter. Vitamin D is one of the toughest nutrition problems to deal with, and it's essential for proper calcium absorption so it's really important. For birds who can't spend a lot of time outdoors, a good pellet is the easiest way to provide it.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2