It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How to get dried baby food out of feathers?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:11 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
He never objected to being held until today. It was just easier for me to hold him at first. Then when I got the hang of things, I didn't hold him. Today though, he just didn't really want to be near me, despite wanting to be fed. Like he was hoping for someone else to feed him.

I'm hoping he'll get used to the spoon enough to the point where I won't have to hold him. I have had to hold him in he past with the spoon, because he didn't quite know what to do with it... Well he did, he was just being stubborn, and would walk away unless I had the syringe. He'll only eat out of the spoon if I hold him.

At least he's maturing emotionally. That's a good thing. :)

Aside from his feathers looking a little ragged from over preening (As opposed to plucking), but that's to be expected, considering what those feathers have been through. Hopefully, they'll soften up and look normal again eventually. There's still some feathers that are hardened, but for the most part. He seems to have them taken care of.
Oddly enough, I found that he bites cloth harder than he bites me if I restrain him. I wonder if he's doing that on purpose...

He's doesn't appear to be mad with me anymore. I gave him scritches not too long ago, and he started crying when I stopped to give Lucy scritches. Things appear to be back to normal. :lol: Now if only I can get him to self bathe again...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:48 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
What happened to him?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:25 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

If you're asking about the rough childhood Carolyn referred to, Alex was the result of some off-seasoned horomones when the parents laid eggs in the winter. All of the chicks that hatched died, except for Alex, who was found in the nest box, plucked of all his feathers. The breeder pulled him out of the nest box and hand fed him. I don't think he had as much interaction with other birds, being the only one of his clutch left alive and all, and all of the already weaned cockatiels from previous clutches were in a large flight cage outside.

Actually, it didn't occur to me until now, but it's possible that Carolyn might know this breeder. She mentioned being a ppart of the Avicultural Society of Tucson. Then again, I wouldn't expect Carolyn to know everyone in the club.

I don't know her last name, but does the name "Nancy" sound familiar to you, Carolyn?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It doesn't ring any bells, but I'm terrible with names so for all I know it might be someone that I see every month.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:35 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

:lol: I'm pretty bad with names as well.

We did find her through this craigslist ad though. I doubt that's gonna mean anything, but you can see the kinds of Cockatiels she raised.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/pet/5345564936.html
Funny, the whitefaced pearl in the first picture actually looks like Alex. It definitely seems older though, and doesn't have a bald spot behind the crest like Alex has.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2