Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Mouse Problem Part 2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:39 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Wow this is like a book lol.I wont be breeding until after the mice are gone and that probably wont be until summer because there are new houses being built in the area since last summer and the whole area has a mouse infestation.Even the delivery man for our curry could smell peppermint from our house and said you have mice too.And they are breeding in the house next to us.We blocked off a hole we found it the Cockatiels room it was exactly like the hole you would see in Tom and Jerry lol.I am also converting the room into a bird room as you all know.We have stopped using traps and are now using poison and putting pepper mint on a oil burner.Will it be safe to put peppermint on a oil burner in my bedroom? Tiko hasn't had any problems.We are now washing the floors with Lavender and Peppermint they dont like that smell of that.

Post subject: Re: Mouse Problem Part 2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:33 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 103 times
Got happy chirps: 16 times
Wow, that's gonna be though
Why don't you buy pellets bait?
There's lots of options
Google it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:50 pm 
Banned
Banned

eddieparrot5 wrote:
Wow, that's gonna be though
Why don't you buy pellets bait?
There's lots of options
Google it

Im sure the poison will kill them quick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Always be careful using something scented with birds!

It's definitely best to put off breeding. If there's construction going on next door the birds will hear the noise from that, plus you've changed their location and are planning to redecorate it, plus you've got mice. It all adds up to a lot of change and disruption for the birds, which will make them less likely to breed. It'll be time to think of it after everything has settled down and there's nothing unusual going on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:03 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
Always be careful using something scented with birds!

It's definitely best to put off breeding. If there's construction going on next door the birds will hear the noise from that, plus you've changed their location and are planning to redecorate it, plus you've got mice. It all adds up to a lot of change and disruption for the birds, which will make them less likely to breed. It'll be time to think of it after everything has settled down and there's nothing unusual going on.

Construction next door? Nobody is living next door there are people who stay in there sometimes and don't care to get rid of the mice breeding in there.There is construction in the neighbourhood if u wanna call it that new houses are being built.And you cant hear the work being done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
OK, I got a little confused over what was happening next door and what was happening elsewhere in the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:53 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Even if there isn't construction, it's still a bad environment. You are right now putting them on hormone control with all the environment changes. And the mice. It's a bad environment for breeding.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:17 am 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 17 times
Got happy chirps: 0 time
I wouldn't consider it safe to burn/heat anything scented in a house that has birds in it. By the time they start showing effects of the scented items it might be too late to help them.

I'd also be very leery of putting out poison because if one of your birds finds one and eats it it will cause you heartbreak.

Something that was recommended to me by a coworker (apart from the standard traps, etc.) was to put dryer sheets in those corners/places that aren't used or opened very often.

When we first moved into the house we're in now, we found the mice were getting into the kitchen d4rawers and the the bakeware drawer under the oven. So we cleaned/disinfected everything out, washed everything, and filled in holes with that spray foam filler. We found that the mice were coming in through the heat exchanges in the floor so we put gutter grid over the hole under the exchange cover. Then we put unscented dryer sheets in the back of all the kitchen drawers and lower cabinets as well as the bakeware drawer.

Strange as it may seem, the stuff does seem to work ... :bliss100:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:39 am 
Banned
Banned

They cant get near the poison and the peppermint and lavender isn't strong enough to effect them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:37 am 
Banned
Banned

I decided to use a glue trap last night after seeing two mice sitting on my bed not even scared of my movements and i caught one im leaving it down though incase more go on it.I wont be the one to drowned them though I just cant do stuff like that. By the way just out of curiosity where the hell do these mice get their water?

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next