Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Beak trim
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:42 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Zorro dosent chew on much wood [not 4 lack of trying to get him to] and when he does has to be sitting on us. So this one corner of his beak grows up a bit past his top beak. So i wrapped him n trimmed it till it was level with the rest. He didn't bite or struggle much n only whined a tiny bit.

Post subject: Re: Beak trim
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:32 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Ive never trimmed a birds beak.... I wouldn't know how too... guess you need a steady hand for it... that's me out!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:02 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Yeah I've done it you have to be very careful

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:11 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
It's a useful skill to know, but if you can teach the bird to chew on a cuddle bone, it's not usually necessary.

Plus I've heard if they're healthy enough, their beak doesn't usually get overgrown. Not sure how much truth there is to this, however.

you know Mel, if he likes to chew on things while he's with you, you can hold the cuddle bone to him and try to get him to chew on it. Eventually, he'll learn to chew on it by himself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am 
Banned
Banned

Some birds are born with beaks that constantly over grow and need their beaks trimmed but I wouldn't trim a bird like that I would rather a vet do it because it can go way out of shape that I wouldn't know what to do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:52 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

JessiMuse wrote:
It's a useful skill to know, but if you can teach the bird to chew on a cuddle bone, it's not usually necessary.

Plus I've heard if they're healthy enough, their beak doesn't usually get overgrown. Not sure how much truth there is to this, however.

you know Mel, if he likes to chew on things while he's with you, you can hold the cuddle bone to him and try to get him to chew on it. Eventually, he'll learn to chew on it by himself.

He's healthy he had a vet check. He has a cuttlebone ignores it completely. Isant it just 4 calcium? Didn't think it was 4 his beak. Thought thats what woods for. If he needed major trim id of gotten vet to do it. But was just tiny bit on corner. N i did what breeder said to do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:54 am 
Banned
Banned

Cuttlebone helps the beak go down too because they are chewing on it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Anything they chew on that's hard or rough will help keep the beak in shape. The beak has a "quick" in it, with nerves and blood vessels, plus it's possible to crack it or chip it, so you have to be careful. It's usually not recommended for people to do beak trims themselves, since you can do a lot of damage if you do it wrong. If you just filed a rough edge down a little bit there's not too much chance of causing problems. But anything more than that and it really should be done by a professional.

I help with bird grooming at our bird club meetings by holding birds while a vet tech does the real work. We have several regular "customers" who have chronic problems with overgrown and misaligned beaks. She'll cut part of the overgrowth off with clippers then file it down with a dremel. It's definitely not a job for someone who doesn't know what they're doing!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:23 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

tielfan wrote:
Anything they chew on that's hard or rough will help keep the beak in shape. The beak has a "quick" in it, with nerves and blood vessels, plus it's possible to crack it or chip it, so you have to be careful. It's usually not recommended for people to do beak trims themselves, since you can do a lot of damage if you do it wrong. If you just filed a rough edge down a little bit there's not too much chance of causing problems. But anything more than that and it really should be done by a professional.

I help with bird grooming at our bird club meetings by holding birds while a vet tech does the real work. We have several regular "customers" who have chronic problems with overgrown and misaligned beaks. She'll cut part of the overgrowth off with clippers then file it down with a dremel. It's definitely not a job for someone who doesn't know what they're doing!

If it was major id not do it. But its just one spot grows up last time he did it himself but not this time.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]