Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Beak trim appt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:18 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
I made zorro with bird groomer 4 16th. The person does home visits, so there coming here. Zorro has a corner thst grows up on lower left (left if he is facing me). N im not sure if other side (right if facing me) upper beak is a bit long. Looks longer then left side. Nothing severe. But this girl on fb told me if i get it groomed once i always will. Id this true?

Post subject: Re: Beak trim appt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It depends on what the problem is. Many times getting it trimmed once is all you need, and normal beak wear will keep it in the right shape after that. But if there's some kind of chronic problem that's making the beak grow like this, then you'll need to keep getting it trimmed.

If it stays normal after this then everything is fine. But if it starts getting too long again it would be good to see a vet and ask what the problem is. If his beak isn't aligned quite right they might be able to fix it. Or if there's some kind of health issue that's affecting beak growth they might be able to treat it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:02 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

He holds it a bit to side of bottom but i think its cuse its a bit long. If the groomers think its an issue then ill take him to vet. Dunno msybe just cuse he wont chew of wiod often.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chewing on wood isn't absolutely required. When the beak fits together properly, just simple beak grinding will help keep it in shape. I think all parrots do beak grinding but I could be wrong about that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:08 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

tielfan wrote:
Chewing on wood isn't absolutely required. When the beak fits together properly, just simple beak grinding will help keep it in shape. I think all parrots do beak grinding but I could be wrong about that.

Ahh he grinds most nights b4 bed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:50 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Groomers coming tomorrow i decided it couldent wait.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't really know anything, but I wonder if he has a slight case of scissor beak. It looks to me like the edge of the whole top beak is slightly inside the edge of the lower beak. That would explain why the corner isn't getting worn down. If you google for black headed caique and look at the image results, you'll get a lot of pictures where it's easy to see how the top beak is supposed to align. In most of the pictures the edges of the top and bottom beak are exactly on top of each other, like this one:

Here are a couple of links about scissor beak and beak problems in general:

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/scissorsbeak.html
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1390

The first link says the condition can often be corrected with repeated trimming by a vet who knows what they're doing, but incorrect trimming can make it worse. In some cases an appliance or surgery may be necessary, but I would guess that this is for severe cases. If Zorro has scissor beak, it looks like a mild case to me. I've seen birds that look MUCH worse than this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's called scissor beak because the top and bottom beak are side by side like the blades of scissors to some extent, instead of resting exactly on top of each other. Here's a really bad case of it in a chicken:

Here's a much milder case in a parrot. The beak almost looks normal, but you can see that the tip of the top beak is a little off center.

Here's a case in a caique. This looks worse than Zorro:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:27 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

tielfan wrote:
I don't really know anything, but I wonder if he has a slight case of scissor beak. It looks to me like the edge of the whole top beak is slightly inside the edge of the lower beak. That would explain why the corner isn't getting worn down. If you google for black headed caique and look at the image results, you'll get a lot of pictures where it's easy to see how the top beak is supposed to align. In most of the pictures the edges of the top and bottom beak are exactly on top of each other, like this one:

Here are a couple of links about scissor beak and beak problems in general:

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/scissorsbeak.html
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1390

The first link says the condition can often be corrected with repeated trimming by a vet who knows what they're doing, but incorrect trimming can make it worse. In some cases an appliance or surgery may be necessary, but I would guess that this is for severe cases. If Zorro has scissor beak, it looks like a mild case to me. I've seen birds that look MUCH worse than this.

He can put it over but thats how he holds it. Might be because I think other side upper beak is bit long. Groomers coming Tomorrow to look at it. If it comes back then ill take him to vet. I dont think they do it incorrect because they do all the birds at tha local rescue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the upper beak on the other side is long, that seems to me like another indication that it could be scissor beak. The upper beak is overgrowing on one side because it isn't touching the lower beak and getting ground down, and the lower beak is overgrowing on the other side for the same reason. The sides that are "inside" are getting ground down better because there's more contact.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next