Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Stella
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Stella is a cockatiel and so is the rest of the flock.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:56 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
thanks Deebee and thanks tielfan.
Oh... catching a bird who is not tame when the rest 8 fly like crazy (all fully flighted)... can be very very tricky and would have done more harm than good in that situation (but of course there are situations when catching a bird is a life matter. Maybe I should consider getting a net. What can you guys recommend for a net in US?). I think that bleeding stops faster when a bird is not moving a lot (me trying to catch her was causing all of them fly very fast). I have corn starch and would use it if bleeding didn't stop on its own. But what about cayenne pepper? I only heard that it can help kill some internal bacteria in some situations.
Some of my birds are tame, some are not. Except 9 cockatiels, I have 3 rabbits and a child, and a husband who doesn't help much. I really need to work on taming all of them (birds I mean :).

She is doing better. Today I saw her playing with a toy while still sitting on one leg. My poor girl. She is cinnamon pearl (on the picture), the other is her father.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nets are very difficult to use and I don't think they're a good option. We have nets on hand at the bird marts to catch birds that escape. Even the most experienced people can't scoop the birds up easily, and basically we just use the nets to chase them around until they get too tired to fly away from us. At home, I have better luck trying to catch birds with a towel or baby blanket than with a net.

Flying and other activity does make the bleeding last longer. The exercise makes the heart rate speed up, so the blood is pumping faster and more of it comes out before it can clot.

Cayenne pepper, corn starch, flour, and other types of finely ground plant material can help with blood clotting. The cellulose in plant material provides a good substrate for platelets and other blood components to stick to. Cayenne has antibacterial properties, and it can help kill bacteria on the surface of the skin. It might not be particularly advantageous for a bleeding nail, since they usually bleed pretty freely. With something that's bleeding freely, the blood flow itself washes out bacteria. When the clot forms it seals up the wound to keep bacteria from getting in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thanks Carolyn

Today I called the store as soon as they opened and we were lucky because Nancy was already there. I kept Stella caged after the night and was able to bring her to the store in the morning
As I thought, Nancy didn't say anything new. The foot has a good grip, nothing is broken, nothing looks infected. She said that it's probably sore because the nail wasn't removed completely, a short part of it still sticking out. She said it's unclear if it grows back. SO I am praying that her toenail will grow back

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:33 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
That's the first time I've seen a photo of your birds since I've come to this forum. Those two are SO pretty :D

I'm glad there's no harm done to the nail. A lot of the birds I've had from other people are missing toes, nails etc. and they do get around just fine still so I wouldn't be worried when it comes to function

I've never had an issue using a net myself but I've been netting them now for a good 17 years so it's second nature now. I pick out the bird I need to get (never very fun in the budgie flight!) and wait for them to fly. Once they're off I just get them mid-flight. I've seen some horrendous practices with them though. At a show I saw somebody smack a bird out of the air with one and I flipped out. Using a towel inside the home may be considerably more practical, I just find it easier to use a net with my aviary birds. They aren't birds I can easily get to so for me it's more practical. I also have red fronted kakarikis which are impossible to catch regardless :rotflmao100:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:22 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thanks Deebee

Quote:
I'm glad there's no harm done to the nail
I have never said it :) but I will be optimistic about her functional life in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I just noticed that Stella's nail slowly started to grow back. Its hard to say yet if its going to be the correct shape

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well good, I hope it turns out well! If it looks odd, a little trimming or filing might help it adjust to the right shape.

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3