All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 2 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stella
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:19 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
right, "Zero" water has stevia and no sugar.
I soaked millet in it and now birds don't eat it :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:24 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I am getting concerned. She always keeps her hurt foot up as if using it hurt her that much.
If so, should I try to get some pain meds for her??? I also have an impression that she was doing better 2 days ago than today. She is just being... not as lively as before. The foot looks normal. It's the same shape as her other one. It only misses a nail.
Also, I am thinking if I should keep her locked for a day. This would certainly be stressful but I wonder if it would help her in any way to heal faster.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Is it possible to take her to a vet?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:07 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

tielfan wrote:
Is it possible to take her to a vet?
anything is possible.
I am just not sure if there is a need for this. The vet won't be able to tell me if she is in pain. The vet I have nearby isn't an avian vet. My guess is that he would prescribe pain medication "just to see if it helps"
I don't understand why she doesn't drink while her appetite for food is OK
When I catch her to give her a drink, I am not sure if I do more good or bad coz she is very wiggly and I am scared I would harm her foot even more.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

She must be drinking when you're not looking. A bird's need for water is a lot greater than their need for food, and she'd probably be dead within 24 hours if she wasn't drinking. If she's pooping normally it's a sign that she's getting water - there's a lot of moisture in that poop.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:35 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I put paper towel on the bottom of the cage at night to see her poop. It's not always easy to monitor whose poop is where as they start moving inside the cage in the morning. But what I can see is that she poops thru the night ... but it's a single poop while my other birds poop much more than this.
Bird store suggested that I bring her to the store so that owner can take a look. She does mail trimming today and I know it's always very busy on Saturdays. I didn't let Stella out of the cage this morning in case I take her there. While I was busy with my other very necessary things (yes, unfortunately) she was going nuts inside the cage. I was not sure if bringing her to the store today was a great idea as it would stress her even more, plus in the store there are tons of other birds and she is already weakened.
So, I saw her going nuts in the cage for a few hours...a sick bird wouldn't behave like this LOL and I decided to wait until Monday when the store will not have so many people and birds.
As soon as I let her out this afternoon, she immediately began to play that very tired, very weak, very sleepy bird that I am concerned to see...
Here is a reply from the store
Quote:
If the nail didn't completely come out, there may be nerve endings exposed, Nancy might need to look at it and see if there's an open wound or if the nail is actually broken at the skin line, and then go from there. She could refer you to a vet if needed. She said she'd be glad to look at it today between 11am to 3pm, and she wouldn't charge unless you want a trim done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are a couple of possibilities here... one is that she's basically faking you out by acting all weak and tired when she's actually fine. Or else she burned up all the energy she had trying to get out of the cage, and really did feel weak and tired after that.

If your local vet is not an avian vet and your nail-trimming person has a lot of experience with birds, it's possible that the nail trimmer might be able to give you better advice than the vet. It doesn't sound like Stella is in any immediate danger, so waiting until tomorrow will probably be all right. Another possibility that I thought of is that there could be a broken bone in the toe in addition to the broken nail and it's causing her pain. Hopefully the people at the store will be able to tell you something tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:37 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Nancy is in her 60s and she has been in bird business all her life. Another problem is that on Monday she won't come until 2pm, and I am not sure how I will be catching Stella if she is let out in the morning (I could easily bring her by 10am). On another hand, I hate to keep her locked, as any situation that differs from her regular routine definitely affects her in a negative way (for example, she didn't eat much until I let her join the flock this afternoon). I think eating is important in her situation.

Another question is ... anything differ for her or me if we know exactly what is going on? I mean, often, with minor injuries in humans, there is still no treatment even when something is broken and we know about it.

I got "Alive and well" tablets for dissolving in water. I provide one dish with this solution and another is just water (in different places). Even though Alive and Well solution looks pretty much like water, I have a feeling they mostly ignore it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You might see her drinking more if you just give her plain water. The Alive and Well won't do her any good if she won't drink it, so give her what she wants.

Keeping the cage covered might help her stay calm until it's time to go to the store. If you need to, you can add more covers to make it darker inside. Give her enough light time so she can get some food and water.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:45 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
Awh poor Stella!

Birds have amazing healing qualities, from my experience anyway. I've tried splinting legs and such before only to have the bird remove the splint and heal with little interference. As tielfan has said, a broken nail that has hit the quick can be quite painful. If you've ever done disease or DNA testing yourself you'll know that once you hit the quick the bird will have a little shout at you. It's not a pleasant experience

What species is she? And what are your other birds? I don't know everybody all to well on here yet still being a newbie. If you by any chance have lovebirds then it could have been the notorious toe nip!

I'd keep some cayenne pepper at hand if you can and if not some corn flour. Unfortunately for Stella, sometimes it's best to just catch them up and get the initial stress over and done with so should it happen again maybe try toweling her or even better have a net at hand if your birds are all flighted. My net has a few holes in it at this point in time no thanks to cheeky kakarikis haha

Fingers crossed her poorly toe gets better soon

Page 2 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next