All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Silver Went to Vet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:31 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Silver had been shifting his left wing around and preening it for a couple of days. Something was making him uncomfortable, but it usually sorts itself out. However, last night he was very uncomfortable and in pain from time to time. I put him alone in the small cage, because if any of the other birds came near him he would chase the offender away with a wide open beak. I think he probably thought they were causing his pain.

This morning I started trying to make a vet appointment. The avian vet I use for clipping is only in on Tuesdays. I called several other avian vets, but no one had an appointment today. I finally found a vet that does "see" birds, but not avian certified. So, I took Silver there at 1:00.

He was unhappy with the car ride and then started flock calling as soon as we got into the vet's waiting room. There weren't any other birds there, he was just letting anyone who might be around that something was happening that he felt wasn't safe. I covered the cage on three sides and sang him his special song, and he really calmed down.

The vet was definitely not as skillful in catching Silver in the towel and then getting him wrapped up with the help of his tech. He was quite young (although, lots of people look very young to me these days). During all of this Silver was screaming as loudly as he could and I was crooning to him. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with the wing, but did give Silver a light clip and a toenail clip. He identified that Silver had one blood feather, and he made sure not to clip that one.

Silver was better on the trip home. Then, he napped for most of the rest of the day. Tonight, though, he flew over to me and got on my finger. I sang him all his special songs and he seemed quite happy and content. He really had forgiven me, or had decided it was for his own good, despite how little he liked the whole thing.

When I got home, I did find a large feather that he must have shed last night. I had looked this morning, but didn't find it, and that's why I really wanted to get him in.

I find these things do me in for the rest of the day. I am glad to take care of him though. He is so precious.

Post subject: Re: Silver Went to Vet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm glad it turned out that he was OK! I recently talked to someone on a different board whose bird had a problem with a feather cyst, so I was thinking "feather cyst" the whole time I was reading your story. So it was a pleasant surprise and a happy ending when it turned out that he didn't have a problem after all!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:44 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
So pleased everything is good now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:44 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee