Page 2 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barbara layed an egg.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Is Coco taking good care of the baby? The mother is rejecting it, but if he will take care of it then you can keep her away and let him do the work. With cockatiels, both parents take care of the baby so he can do it as well as the mother can.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:29 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Hello, Coco and Barbara are doing collaborative working, Coco goes and feeds them on the day, while Barbara takes her shift at night. Though Coco only feeds them once and leaves, he doesn't stay long.

As of the nestbox, I put them on an open container in which I spread some paper bedding to make it soft. The "nestbox" is under a tiki kind of setup which is safe.

Here is a picture of them:

3/4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It looks like they're doing well! Is the temperature very warm there? Babies usually clump together for heat at this age, but your chicks are separated so they must be staying warm enough. Usually the parents would spend most of their time in the nest keeping the chicks warm at this age, but they don't need to if the air temperature is warm enough.

Does the chick at the bottom of the picture have white fuzz? If it does, it's a whiteface baby. The chick at the top looks like it has yellow fuzz, so it is not whiteface. It looks like there's a new hatchling too which is still wet from the egg. :applaud:

What color is the mother, Barbara?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:09 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Yes, the temperature is warm enough. Barbara looks a little like Shodu, but she has bright orange cheeks and some darker colors on her wings and tail.

And yes, the baby on the bottom DOES have white fuss, I'm so excited! I wonder if they will lay any more. ¿How often do they lay them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cockatiels usually lay eggs every other day until they have a full clutch. I assume that this clutch is complete since three of your eggs have already hatched. But she might want to start laying more when the oldest chick is three to four weeks old, because that's what tiel hens tend to do. It can be hard to make them stop, but it's not healthy to let them have more than two clutches a year. This article has some information on getting them to stop when they're taking care of unweaned babies: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... mones.html

It sounds like Barbara might be a normal grey. If you can post a picture of her we'll know more about it. She must be split to whiteface, because you couldn't get any whiteface chicks if she didn't have the gene. Coco definitely got the whiteface gene from his daddy, and he definitely got the pearl gene from his mom so it's possible to get pearl girls. He might be split to cinnamon too, and if he has this gene you can get cinnamon girls. Whether or not you can get boys in these colors will depend on what color Barbara is. If she has the pied gene you can get pied babies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:04 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Glad that parents feed them and they are growing!
I would still be preparing to do some handfeeding in case parents stop feeding them as it happened in my house when chicks got a little older (3-4 weeks of age)
There is lots of reading to do...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:44 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
I'm glad to hear that they are thriving. You definitely have a nice little white face in there!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:31 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

This is Barbara:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It looks like she's cinnamon. Coco may or may not be split to cinnamon. If he has the gene, you can get cinnamon babies of both sexes. If he doesn't have the gene you won't get any cinnamon babies at all.

Coco is split to pearl. Any pearl babies that you get will definitely be girls. Barbara is not pearl, so it's not possible to get pearl boys from this pair.

I don't see any indication that she has the pied gene. But a pied split doesn't always have a visible sign, so she still might have it.

Are there four babies in that picture? I think I can see two whiteface chicks and two babies with yellow fuzz.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:26 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Yes! 2 white-fuzzed babies and 2 yellow ones. I wonder if it still is possible that the 2 white ones might be whiteface?

Also, the babies have poop all over them, and I just changed the bedding yesterday; I change it every 2 days. But it worries me that they have poop on their faces. The oldest one seems to have his nostrils covered up. Should I bathe them?

Page 2 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next