Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New bird/cockatiel owner
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 pm 
Egg
Egg

Name: Dan
Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 1 time
My new cockatiel was handraised / hand fed - from a very reputable Parrot shop in Stamford ct. I just picked it up today and drove it home, the ride was about an hour. It was in the standard box they put them in. I set up the food and water when I got home.

I thought about slowly opening the carrier box ... maybe inside the cage.. let it acclimate out of the strange box... after a strange ride..

For whatever reason, I just opened it up and it squawked and jumped.. a tried to pick it up and console tightly to my chest rubbing it's head.... after a moment I tried to set it down.. it tried biting my finger.. I spilled some water as she/he went in.. on the base of the cage.. water on tail.. now she is hissing and pissed... I try to comfort / hold/bond again.. she/he jumped out of my hands.. runs on the ground.. now I do a REALLY stupid thing.. I did not want to get bit again so I use a towel.. pick her up and hold her.. maybe too long so now she is trying to bite through the towel... i take her back to the cage.. as she goes in she bites my index finger around my nail.. and draws blood... she only hisses at me.. she is not perched... this is all in the first 20 minutes.

So by now I know leave him alone.. crest is straight up in the air!!! I learn this means he/she is scared... i think maybe I should put the cage near my desk and let the birdie start to know my presence.. I think maybe i better cover the cage.. she/he is so frightened.. I put towels over the cage.. then read I should only do that at night.. some owners do not even do that....

So I move her cage to the kitchen... I will try and bond at this time.. give her/him 1-3 days...

I hope the bird is not traumatized?

HELP!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New bird/cockatiel owner
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The bird is very frightened right now. You need to stop trying to force it to do things, and instead work on convincing it that you are friendly and helpful. The best way to make friends with a handfed baby is to hold a familiar food in your hand for it to eat. Wait until the bird is calm and offer it some millet spray this way. You've gotten off to a bad start so it might take some extra time to win the bird's trust.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:07 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
How are things working out now?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:27 am 
Egg
Egg

Very disappointed. I did EXACTLY what the parrot shop told me to do, by trying to hold him close and comfort him... on that first day...

he has never been out of his cage since... i am very careful around him... he hisses and lunges to attack, when I change food/water etc. It is slowly getting better, we were able to build his cage taller with all the nice fiber ropes of different sizes.. he is much happier in the taller cage.

This was a 'hand-fed' 'tame' baby cockatiel..
I feel like I was lied to...

It is what it is now, I am guessing this is going to take years of trust...

On the bright side.. I whistle to him/her, talk and comfort birdie every day.. My wife who we had hoped would NOT be allergic, is not showing any symptoms and she is liking interacting with birdie.. we can only do our best from here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:16 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Taking the slow route is the only way to go if you want to get somewhere...

Sounds like you're doing a great job, in spite of what happened to the bird at the shop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The parrot shop gave you bad advice. Holding a new bird close like that isn't comforting, because the bird feels like it's trapped by someone who might be planning to eat it. Maybe they really did lie to you too, it's not unusual for someone to claim that an untamed bird is a handfed baby.

If you're willing to clip his wing feathers it will be possible to let him out of the cage to work with him. Food bribery can help you make friends with him, I have an article about it here: http://littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/ ... ibery.html He may hiss and bite the millet spray at first, but this is OK. After a few bites he'll probably stop being angry and start eating the millet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I am sorry you are having so much trouble gaining your cockatiel's trust. I went through this with my female cockatiel, Emma. She still isn't crazy about me, but it is getting a little better over time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Can you tell me the name of your parrot shop in Stamford? I live in the area and might want to visit it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 am 
Egg
Egg

Yes it is the Stamford Parrot Co (http://parrotco.com/)
The man working all the babies (cockatiels, macaws, other parrots etc) was picking them up, squeezing food in their mouths.

I remember commenting "ahhh how cute, it's crest is straight up!!" He could of at least said,... ya, that means he/she is scared! lol.

But they were personal and professional and otherwise answered all of my questions.

When I was leaving, he even picked up the bird very fast and cut his/her nails, clipped it's wings etc.

I asked as many questions as I could think of plus my own research in 2 visits.
He answered all of them.

He said on both visits to hold them close to my chest and comfort them. On the first visit I was leary and set him/her down.. he/she jumped off the counter... I should have known then this was not a tame bird.

I love birdie, and I actually think he/she is starting to warm up. I work remote on Tuesdays and Thursdays and he/she has been singing all day.. and even coming close in the cage to me...

I am still only pausing my hand lightly on the side of the cage and keeping it still.. and luring it with my voice and words :)

Im going to take a look at the article tielfan linked on working with treat foods.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
There’s also another article that may help in addition to TielFans. http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... howto.html

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next