It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is this watery poop abnormal?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:08 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Bella today pooped some watery poop, I was there and saw her. 2 wet spots came with the poop. The floor was dry before she pooped. Should I be concerned??? what could it indicate? Her behavior isn't terribly odd. only sometimes it looks to me that she has butt part of the body sort of elevated/extended a little bit (not sure how to explain)
thanks!

Post subject: Re: Is this watery poop abnormal?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If she makes poop like this just once in a while, it probably just means that she drank more water than usual and it's not a problem. If she poops like this all of the time or most of the time, there might be a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:11 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thanks Carolyn
I will watch her poop. She is behaving a little bit odd, I think... keeping her butt extended sometimes, but I wonder if it has something to do with maybe an egg? She has a boyfriend, but I haven't see them mate recently. however, you never know, right?
If I take her to a doctor, what should I ask them to look for? to test her poop? they are not avian vets here :(((

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

what I am observing:
she is not flying a lot. eating little here little there. flew to my shoulder but then left.
I saw her pooping. it was a small regular way looking poop with all parts looking OK.
she is seen with her lower (butt) part sort of pressed down a little bit. and she is sometimes seen somewhat slightly shivering. Feathers sometimes puffed up but not all the time.

I wouldn't mind taking her to the vet but I need to know what they need to be looking for, since they most likely will be clueless. Vets here are not avian, just those that "see" birds

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

would you please look at these products
http://www.morningbirdproducts.com/buy.html
I am wondering if it's OK to buy and use some of their products for prevention or in case my birds have something already but it's hard/expensive to test.
They love to land on the carpet in the living room but I am afraid it's not the cleanest place. We don't wear shoes in the house, but still, there is a bunny now that lives (and poops) downstairs. Also, when they spend time in the aviary (which is on my front porch) they take every chance to land of cement there if its not covered (the above pic with the poop was taken there). I try to watch them closely to prevent it but sometimes it happens.
The house cleaning could have been better. I am just so busted with everything going on... trying to rehome the remaining bunny to somebody who has bunnies to make him happy, but it's not easy since he is senior with some med problems
I am battling a bad case of stress related eczema myself

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:13 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

one more thing I noticed about Bella maybe a week-two ago. She stepped up for me and her feet felt too warm. I googled and it said it can be normal if she was flying just before. Then some time later she had normal T feet. then a few more times I caught her with feet that felt too warm but it always returned to normal afterwards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like she might be constipated and is straining to make a poop. It's probably not egg binding, because she wouldn't be able to pass the poop if there was an egg blocking the exit. Keep watching her to make sure that she's getting enough to eat and is continuing to poop normally. Does she have a good diet?

If you think she isn't getting enough calcium, then one of the calcium products from the link might be helpful. You have to be careful though, because too much calcium consumption causes as much trouble as not enough.

Their feet get warm when they've been exercising, the same way that our skin gets warm when we've been exercising. If she's been sitting still with her belly feathers fluffed over her feet, that will help warm up her feet too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:19 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you.
I think that the diet is not bad: seed, pellets (out of Roudybush at the time but feeding Pretty Bird), greens, millet, sometimes good bread, good cracker.
How can a bird be constipated? I've never heard about such a thing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They can get constipated just a like a human can. But their diet is mostly plant material, so they get a lot of fiber.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]