All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: picky bird
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:42 am 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
OK..so who has picky eaters?? All my birds are great eaters..pretty much eat anything I give them. BUTTTTT My U2 will not eat "people" food period!! NO veggies..no fruit..no pasta...NO thing!! We got her in January, she is 10 yrs old, been w/ the same people from hatchling. I have offered it every way possible and creative. She will literally turn her back at me or walk away! drives me nuts! Vet gave her clean bill of health and told me to keep offering. She is on a pellet diet and I know she gets all her vittys thru them..but comon ..have a bite of an apple..PLEASE!..she wont even eat popcorn. I've tried offering her "junk" NOPE NOPE wont take it. won't even play w/it hahahhaa
BUT theother day..she FINALLY ate some corn (wooohooo) so I know she likes corn..

Post subject: Re: picky bird
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:36 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
wow that sounds bad, my friend had a blue crown conure like that. never been offered veggies before just pellets and wont try any thing either. but her owner isant really too motivated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
She sounds like a tough one all right. Have you tried eating some food while she's close by and then offering her some of it? Sometimes birds are more interested if someone else is demonstrating that it's good.

Would she maybe eat it if she had to forage for it? For instance wrap some kind of non-soggy food in paper and let her shred the paper. Maybe she'll start chewing on the food while she's at it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:42 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

woah thats a good idea. :applaud:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:07 am 
Egg
Egg

Quote:
Would she maybe eat it if she had to forage for it
oh yeah..tried this one!! she knew. I put some carrots (w other stuff as well) w her blocks in a box that she likes to play in. She emptied the carrots out of the box before she started to play. I bring her w/ me when I eat put her right next to me. I offer her "everything" she just looks at it. Then she leaves and goes to her cage to eat her food. I've even tried tricking her by taking out her pellets and putting veggies/fruit in her dish so when she went to her cage to eat she'd try it. but no such luck. I haven't or will not give up. I have 2 other parrots besides all the breeders so a dish full of fresh foods that she won't eat is no big deal..plus I can give to my pig :) oh well just thought I'd share my pain..haha! But can't wait to tell you all about the day she tries some other goodies :) the little brat!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:55 pm 
Chick
Chick

Got happy chirps: 1 time
You have to just keep trying. Don't give up. Offer many different things and in different ways. Eating with them near you is a plus. You are doing really well with what you are doing and trying. I think it's great that you keep trying. One day your U2 might just start eating some of the stuff you offer. I know of someone that did that and it took 2 years for them to finally find something the bird would eat. LOL It was spaghetti. Had they not kept offering, they never would have found out the bird would eat that. Keep trying, keep trying, keep trying. Sometimes another bird that does eat human foods will be a good example for another bird to watch that will not eat people food. Good luck. I have faith one day your U2 will eat some food other than the pellets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

randeejon wrote:
You have to just keep trying. Don't give up. Offer many different things and in different ways. Eating with them near you is a plus. You are doing really well with what you are doing and trying. I think it's great that you keep trying. One day your U2 might just start eating some of the stuff you offer. I know of someone that did that and it took 2 years for them to finally find something the bird would eat. LOL It was spaghetti. Had they not kept offering, they never would have found out the bird would eat that. Keep trying, keep trying, keep trying. Sometimes another bird that does eat human foods will be a good example for another bird to watch that will not eat people food. Good luck. I have faith one day your U2 will eat some food other than the pellets.

awsome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:12 am 
Egg
Egg

Oh I won't give up. There is something she will like..try..eat? hahaha.
I cook for my birds..breads, funky salads..pastas, you name it. Everyone eats up..but not her. She'll come around one day I'm sure <thinking :? >

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:19 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

have u tried shredded carrots and rice mixed?
my birds LOVED dry plain oatmeal. :plot:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:06 pm 
Chick
Chick

Got happy chirps: 1 time
Sometimes they will like shredded foods. Some like chunks of food. Some like small pieces chopped up. It depends on the bird. Don't give up. Even if it takes a longggggg time. Keep offering.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next