All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lost taste for veggies?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:00 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 4 times
ok, so the lovebirds love their veggies, it never fails to get them to eat them. toss in a bowl of brocholli, carrots, cilantro, peas, corn, and green beans and that bowl is finished.

the tiels used to be that way, they used to love their veggies. but since ive added pellets to the diet, they wont touch them much. if they do touch anything its corn. dally refuses, but tsuka still picks at a small amount. but dally particularly seems to prefer her pellets over veggies. they seem even to prefer the pellets over seed as they would choose pellets over seed though they eat both good. they finish their seed daily, i refill their seed daily, their pellets twice a week at most. they get veggies every day but they generally ignore them but for a few nibbles.

is there any reason why they dont want their veggies anymore? is it ok they dont eat too much of them like they used to? could it be theyre getting enough nutrients from their pellets that they dont want the veggies and is there anything wrong with that?

Post subject: Re: Lost taste for veggies?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Right now they might be getting enough nutrients from the pellets that they don't crave the veggies. With my birds it seems like there are seasonal variations in what they want to eat (and daily variations too) and they crave fresh foods more in the spring and summer than they do in the fall and winter. So keep offering veggies but as long as they're eating a lot of pellets don't worry about it too much if they show less interest in the veggies. They're still nibbling on the veggies and that's good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:10 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

ok good i was concerned. dally wont touch much, today she ate a bit. seems if theyre out of the cage they will eat them more than in the cage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Maybe they prefer veggies as a foraging food. That's what my birds do - if I put their greens in a cup they won't touch it, but if I hang it up in the cage or lay it out on a table top they go for it. They're funny about presentation and want certain foods to be served in certain ways, and they might not be interested if I serve it differently. Dally and Tsuka might eat more veggies if you can find a presentation style that they really like.

Shodu's favorite presentation style is anything that feels like stealing. I call her "La Cockatiel Ladra" (The Thieving Cockatiel), and the La Gazza Ladra overture is her official theme song. It's on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_boI5ChieE The first two and a half minutes don't sound like Shodu on a food quest but the rest of it does. It's easy to imagine her sneaking around snatching anything that isn't carefully guarded.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:15 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

tsuka likes the brocholli a lot more when i put it in the rubber holey ball i gave them. dally wont touch it she so far lately only eats veggies out of the cage. i cut them up differently and everything.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]