It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you feed your flock?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You could always ask your vet about a desirable percentage of pellets/Nutriberries in Munch's diet, and avoid exceeding that level.

Dally is VERY photogenic!! Shodu and her children like to hold things with their foot too, but they aren't skillful enough to do it with the skinny little Zupreem bananas. The biggest problem with the bananas is that a cockatiel bite isn't strong enough to break them, and they turn into beak-fired missiles when a tiel tries to eat them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:08 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
hahaha :grinno:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:34 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 4 times
i dont think any bird should be on an only pellet or only seed diet as variety is the best. i trust the sources that say mainly seed with veggies and pellets so thats what i go with, but there is also species variations as different species eat different things sort of thing

for now i will work on getting her to start eating them. once we have the chance we will ask about that :)

dally can hold a lot of little things in her feet too but id doubt shed be able to chew them right lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 pm 
Finch
Finch

Name: Tohru
Gave happy chirps: 14 times
I feed my Birds pellets. Olivia eats different pellets but I do mix what Sunny and Meka eat. I never feed my birds seeds anymore alot of people are tell me pellets are bad, give them seeds. I tried vegges but the problem is Sunny will not eat anything new. Meka will eat anything Olivia um she still a baby. So maybe you can give me tips.
These are the pellets I give my birds.

Meka and Sunny food
ZuPreem FruitBlend Flavor Premium Food for Small Birds
ZuPreem AvianMaintenance Natural Diet for Cockatiels
ZuPreem Fruit Blend Flavor for Canaries & Finches
Kaytee Exact Natural Cockatiel Food

And this is Olivia food
KAYTEE exact® Rainbow Fruity Parakeet Food
This food provides complete daily nutrition for your Parakeet or Lovebird. It is made with real fruit, is naturally preserved, and includes vital nutrients like DHA for balanced nutrition.

Indulge your feathered friend with this KAYTEE exact Rainbow Fruity Parakeet Food. Naturally preserved and specially formulated with wholesome ingredients, this food helps provide balanced nutrition for your bird's needs. Made with real fruit, including papaya, mangos and pineapple, the food appeals to your bird's cravings. Each crunchy nugget is loaded with beneficial nutrition to help your bird thrive.

* For Parakeets, Lovebirds, Quakers and small Conures
* Made with real papaya, pineapple and mangos
* Formulated with DHA, an omega-3 fatty acid, that helps support healthy heart, liver and eye function
* Ingredients: ground corn, ground wheat, ground oat groats, dried papaya, hulled sunflower, dried pineapple, corn gluten meal, wheat middlings, dried mango, dried coconut, peanut pieces, dehydrated apple, ground flaxseed, soybean meal, dried whole egg, dried beet pulp, soy oil, calcium carbonate, wheat germ meal, dicalcium phosphate, L-lysine, salt, whole cell algae meal (source of DHA), fructooligosaccharide, corn sugar, brewer's dried yeast, vitamin A supplement, choline chloride, titanium dioxide, mixed tocopherols (a preservative), yeast extract, DL-methionine, yucca schidigera extract, propionic acid (a preservative), vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), niacin, rosemary extract, citric acid, calcium pantothenate, L-carnitine, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), beta carotene, canthaxanthin, folic acid, calcium iodate, biotin, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried bacillus licheniformis fermentation product, artificial colors and natural flavors
* Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 12.5%, Crude Fat (min) 8.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 6.0%, Moisture (max) 12.0%, Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.35%, Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (min) 0.035%, L-Carnitine (min) 15mg/kg

Is this ok or do I need to add other food? :feedback:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pellets are a good food in an appropriate amount, but it isn't really possible to have one food that provides absolutely everything that a bird needs. So it's not healthy in the long run if your bird only eats pellets and nothing else.

So what should your birds eat? That's a hard question to answer because no one knows the exact answer. Taking a look at what your birds would eat in the wild is a good starting point, although pet birds have different energy needs than wild birds so you don't want to feed them exactly what a wild bird would eat. Budgies and cockatiels come from the Australian Outback which is an arid environment. So they're evolved for a rather sparse diet. They're mostly seed eaters in the wild so it's good for them to have some seed in their diet. They also chew on green plants to extract the juices so they need some veggies too. Cockatiels usually don't like fruit; it isn't part of their wild diet, and it isn't important for pet tiels to have it. Budgies seem to be more willing to eat fruit in my experience. Keep giving them pellets too of course.

Green cheek conures come from a different environment (South America) so they're evolved for a richer diet. This page talks about their wild diet: http://animals.pawnation.com/green-chee ... -6068.html It includes seeds, nectar and flowers, and says that they like figs. The page also makes suggestions for what to feed a pet conure.

Here's another page with more detailed suggestions for a conure: http://greencheektalk.blogspot.com/2011 ... -diet.html Keep in mind that this is just one person's opinion and no one knows the perfect answer. They suggest just 20% pellets and a lot of people would suggest more than that. Both links recommend a mixture of pellets, seeds, veggies and fruit. The main idea is to have a variety of healthy foods. With my birds I offer them plenty of everything and let them choose what they want. All of them eat some of everything and they're nice and healthy.

Here's an article from the LFB main website about bird nutrition: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... ition.html And here's an article on convincing your bird to eat new foods: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... rsion.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:55 am 
Finch
Finch

tielfan wrote:
Pellets are a good food in an appropriate amount, but it isn't really possible to have one food that provides absolutely everything that a bird needs. So it's not healthy in the long run if your bird only eats pellets and nothing else.

So what should your birds eat? That's a hard question to answer because no one knows the exact answer. Taking a look at what your birds would eat in the wild is a good starting point, although pet birds have different energy needs than wild birds so you don't want to feed them exactly what a wild bird would eat. Budgies and cockatiels come from the Australian Outback which is an arid environment. So they're evolved for a rather sparse diet. They're mostly seed eaters in the wild so it's good for them to have some seed in their diet. They also chew on green plants to extract the juices so they need some veggies too. Cockatiels usually don't like fruit; it isn't part of their wild diet, and it isn't important for pet tiels to have it. Budgies seem to be more willing to eat fruit in my experience. Keep giving them pellets too of course.

Green cheek conures come from a different environment (South America) so they're evolved for a richer diet. This page talks about their wild diet: http://animals.pawnation.com/green-chee ... -6068.html It includes seeds, nectar and flowers, and says that they like figs. The page also makes suggestions for what to feed a pet conure.

Here's another page with more detailed suggestions for a conure: http://greencheektalk.blogspot.com/2011 ... -diet.html Keep in mind that this is just one person's opinion and no one knows the perfect answer. They suggest just 20% pellets and a lot of people would suggest more than that. Both links recommend a mixture of pellets, seeds, veggies and fruit. The main idea is to have a variety of healthy foods. With my birds I offer them plenty of everything and let them choose what they want. All of them eat some of everything and they're nice and healthy.

Here's an article from the LFB main website about bird nutrition: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... ition.html And here's an article on convincing your bird to eat new foods: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... rsion.html

What if I mix this in Olivia food it has vegges in ii real vegges.
deal for Parakeets, Lovebirds, Quakers and other small Conures, the food features real veggies and nuts, including carrots, peppers and peanuts, for a mouthwatering taste your bird will love. The food also contains DHA to support heart, brain and vision health, and L-carnitine to help improve metabolism.
Should I give this to my Meka and Sunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A lot of birds won't eat the little dried veggies in pellet mixes. It would be better if you can get them to eat actual fresh vegetables. If you clip some leafy greens to the side of the cage from time to time, maybe they'll eventually start eating it. Birds seem to really enjoy foraging-style eating because this is closer to what they'd to in the wild, so hanging greens are more attractive than veggies in a dish. Even if they don't eat it at first and just tear it apart for fun, that's a first step. It takes a long time to teach a bird to eat new foods so don't give up after the first try. You don't have to offer new foods every single day, but if you offer them sometimes it's likely that the birds will eventually start eating them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:33 am 
Finch
Finch

tielfan wrote:
A lot of birds won't eat the little dried veggies in pellet mixes. It would be better if you can get them to eat actual fresh vegetables. If you clip some leafy greens to the side of the cage from time to time, maybe they'll eventually start eating it. Birds seem to really enjoy foraging-style eating because this is closer to what they'd to in the wild, so hanging greens are more attractive than veggies in a dish. Even if they don't eat it at first and just tear it apart for fun, that's a first step. It takes a long time to teach a bird to eat new foods so don't give up after the first try. You don't have to offer new foods every single day, but if you offer them sometimes it's likely that the birds will eventually start eating them.

ok thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:40 am 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 1 time
Mine have alsorts! They have seed, sprouting seeds, veg, they love toast etc. the more variety the better as far as I'm concerned.

Mel :money:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:55 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I mix up a lot of different seeds for all
my birds... they all have the same, tiels, budgie, and P'lets...
mixed parrot seed with fruit, cockatiel seed, trill,
fresh veggies, all different nuts chopped, hard boiled egg, the crust off toast, different pulses...
the list they will eat is endless.. you just have to keep on trying them, lots of waste, as they wont eat it all..
I give a different mixture every day...
Mine even like mashed potatoes, a taste of porridge, scrambled egg....beetroot, raspberries blackberries, even a breakfast cereal...
Give it a try.. good lick let us know how it all goes..

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next