All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: bugs in seed mix
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:46 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Small black bugs (not flying I think) in the sprouting mix I bought in the bird store. Is freezing OK and can I still feed it? I sprout this seeds
the store said it's normal (hmmm) and that I should keep it in the freezer and still sprout and feed (birds get protein they said :)

Post subject: Re: bugs in seed mix
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Freezing does work, That's what my mom has done before to kill the bugs.

I think it would still sprout, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

While it's not uncommon to find bugs in a seed mix, it's not really considered "typical". I suggest you look for a different brand of mix, because bugs are definitely not a sign of good quality bird food.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:51 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I opened a pack of sunflower seeds that I bought a year ago. After a few minutes of it being opened it was infested with the same bugs that you had. I threw them out and put bug spray and killed all of the bugs.

I'm pretty sure bugs mean the seeds are expired but I'm not sure. It's best to put the seeds in the freezer immediately after buying to keep it fresh for longer and to prevent bugs. If the bugs came with the seeds then that's a different story. You should buy a different brand if that was the case.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Freezing is fine, it doesn't harm the nutrients in the seed. Afterward you can keep the seed in a bugproof container like a glass jar or a plastic container with a tight lid, to make sure that any bugs that are still hanging around don't re-infest it.

Certain types of insects (or their larvae) feed on seeds and grains so they're naturally attracted to it. Having bugs in the seed doesn't really indicate anything other than maybe lack of insecticide. Ordinary grain storage procedures aren't designed to keep out every tiny insect, and neither is ordinary home storage. If I don't keep my birdseed sealed up tight I get an infestation of seed moths every summer, right around now in fact. I don't know where they come from but they appear like magic. I keep most of the seed and pellets in the freezer, which helps preserve their nutritional value as well as keeping the bugs out. I keep enough to last for about a week in sealed containers on the kitchen counter, and refill them as needed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:34 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you.
I always buy this mix (in one lbs sealed packages) and never had this problem before. There is no way those seeds would be expired, they mix seeds often in the store (they are also seed company). And I make frequent trips to the store too.
I will see if a new package is also infested. If it continues, I might switch for something else.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:57 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
When you buy it, is it in a bag, or do you take it out of a large bin?

Because I know there are some stores that will have a giant bin for people to scoop out, and that's one way how bugs can easily get into it and lay eggs. Also, where are the bags placed in the store? Sometimes sealed bags that are outside could get bugs to manage getting in undetected somehow. How they do it, I have no idea. But it does seem that how the store handles the seed mix can play a big role in it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:37 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

they have seeds in the large bins but they pack them into packages for people to buy. Usually there are some bags already measured and sealed in the fridge, but if they are out in the fridge, they would scoop from a large bin in my presence and seal it. That's the way seed companies are

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]