Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Sprouted lentil mix
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:25 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Today Rio came to the shop with me and I got Lentil sprout mix for the birds it contains Sprouted mung bean,Lentil crimson,Adzuki bean and chick pea.I gave the all the birds some and Tiko started eating right away.I was wondering where in their diet would lentils fit in and im getting sick of feeding pellets because you never know when the pet store will have them so im gonna do a complete diet change.This is my idea:

Morning/Breakfast:Lentils and some veg
Then later on some seed and maybe more lentils
(This diet is just for the tiels and Rio the pet store always has Tiko's pellets.)

Post subject: Re: Sprouted lentil mix
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
This is better than an all-seed diet but it's not a balanced diet overall. You can feed lentils in addition to pellets and the other items that you mentioned, but it would be best to keep some pellets in the diet.

Are you sprouting the lentils yourself or are you buying them already sprouted? It's not recommended to feed birds stuff that was already sprouted when you bought it, because grocery store sprouts frequently have problems with bacteria and mold. Sprouting your own is safer (assuming that you do it well). Beans contain natural toxins, and most of them need to be cooked to eliminate the toxins. But the ones you listed are OK if they're just sprouted but not cooked. The tail on the lentils should be at least 1/4 inch long when you serve them, and the tail on the others should be at least 1/2 inch. The toxins will be gone at that point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:40 pm 
Banned
Banned

They are already sprouted and the tails are long im not feeding pellets anymore because the pet store dosent always have them so its bad to keep feeding them some time and then no pellets for like a month until I see the pet store has them again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Only having pellets part of the time is better than not having them at all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:00 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
Only having pellets part of the time is better than not having them at all.

It messes up their diet though thats bad.Pellets are not important anyway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What messes up their diet? Pellets are the best approximation of complete balanced nutrition for birds that humans are capable of producing. They provide essential nutrients that are difficult or impossible to provide using the other foods that you listed. There are other ways to provide these nutrients but it takes serious effort and planning, and pellets are the easiest way to do it for most people. It might be helpful to read our article on pellets: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... llets.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:06 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
What messes up their diet? Pellets are the best approximation of complete balanced nutrition for birds that humans are capable of producing. They provide essential nutrients that are difficult or impossible to provide using the other foods that you listed. There are other ways to provide these nutrients but it takes serious effort and planning, and pellets are the easiest way to do it for most people. It might be helpful to read our article on pellets: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... llets.html

It would probably also upset them it messes up their diet because they would be getting pellets sometimes and then none for about 4 months or more and then more again.They dont need pellets you can just feed Vegetables and seed and fruits and a bird would be happy and healthy and grains and lentils if you want and other random things you would just feed pellets is just veg and seed and other things ground up anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wild birds don't eat the exact same thing all year long. The food supply changes as the seasons change, and it's normal and natural for birds to have certain foods available at some times but not at others. They'll adjust.

Pellets are a lot more than "veg and seed and other things ground up". They are formulated by professional nutritionists (some of them with a PhD) to provide the right amount of all the essential nutrients that birds are known to need. They use natural foods as much as possible in this process, but also use appropriate supplements to provide the nutrients that you can't get from plants, like Vitamins D3 and B12. Getting the right balance is a lot more difficult than you might think, and it's just about impossible to get some things right using nothing but natural foods. Pellets are nutrient dense - they make sure that the bird gets enough vitamins, minerals and protein without getting an excessive amount of fat. The good quality ones do all this anyway, there are some "iffy" organic brands that are unprofessionally formulated and not really useful as anything but a healthy snack.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BTW I don't know if you've heard the claims that sprouts are a superfood, but unfortunately it's not true. Their nutritional content is about the same as the dry seed: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... uting.html

Lentils are a beneficial addition to the diet though because they're a legume. Beans and legumes combine with seeds and grains to form more complete protein. It's not as good as feeding pellets, but it's better than feeding seeds and vegetables without adding beans or legumes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:08 pm 
Banned
Banned

The pet store even told me they would probably stop selling it all together because not many people buy them so then they wouldnt get pellets at all.And they dont have a balanced diet if the diet is changing now do they.

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next