Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sprouted lentil mix
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't understand this attitude. You can't provide a balanced diet all the time so you're not going to bother providing one when it's possible to do it, even though this would help correct any deficiencies that occurred earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:40 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
It is if you keep the nutrients the same. Just seeds and veggies are still not enough, as you need to find the right kind of foods to cover all of the nutrients a bird needs, and there's no magical vegetable that has all of it. That is why pellets can be good, even if you don't give it to them every single day.

Besides. We, as humans, don't have the same meals every day, and unless if you're really careful about taking in all of your required nutrients daily, that means you don't usually have a balanced diet, either.

Provide it balanced when it's possible. If that is the best thing you can do, then go ahead and do it.

It's also possible to buy pellets online in large packages for less, so if you can, that is also an alternative to consider. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are mash recipes that are designed to provide complete nutrition using natural foods and a few supplements. The Feeding Feathers Facebook group has some recipes. They take a lot of work however.

You could also try breaking Tiko's pellets into smaller pieces for the smaller birds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:20 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
tielfan wrote:
I don't understand this attitude. You can't provide a balanced diet all the time so you're not going to bother providing one when it's possible to do it, even though this would help correct any deficiencies that occurred earlier.

If the pet store stopped selling them I wouldnt be able to bother I do have a small bit of pellets left that I have been giving them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:22 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
There are mash recipes that are designed to provide complete nutrition using natural foods and a few supplements. The Feeding Feathers Facebook group has some recipes. They take a lot of work however.

You could also try breaking Tiko's pellets into smaller pieces for the smaller birds.

I have tried that they wont eat Tiko's pellets

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:22 pm 
Banned
Banned

I cant buy pellets online because I dont have a credit card

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:24 pm 
Banned
Banned

It just sounds odd to me to feed random things like I would rather just have pellets available all the time.Also wouldnt Tiko's pellets have too much protein for smaller birds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The requirements are pretty similar for most parrots so Tiko's pellets would be appropriate for your smaller birds. A lot of pellet companies use the same formula for all their different sizes, so you get the same nutrients whether it's the smallest size or the largest size. The only difference is the size of the pellet.

Some pellet companies have a high potency formula that's good for breeding birds and some other special-needs situations, like a bird that has been sick and needs extra nutrients to get back to normal. These formulas have more protein (and more of pretty much everything else) than the regular formula. But the regular formulas are pretty similar to each other no matter what size bird they're made for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:49 am 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
The requirements are pretty similar for most parrots so Tiko's pellets would be appropriate for your smaller birds. A lot of pellet companies use the same formula for all their different sizes, so you get the same nutrients whether it's the smallest size or the largest size. The only difference is the size of the pellet.

Some pellet companies have a high potency formula that's good for breeding birds and some other special-needs situations, like a bird that has been sick and needs extra nutrients to get back to normal. These formulas have more protein (and more of pretty much everything else) than the regular formula. But the regular formulas are pretty similar to each other no matter what size bird they're made for.

I was told that the bigger pellets would have more protein than the smaller ones same as giving a dog puppy food they wouldnt be getting enough of what they need but my birds would be getting too much of what they need.Anyway ill try Tiko's pellets again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The different pellet sizes are made for bigger and smaller adult birds. Puppy food is comparable to the high-potency pellets not the regular ones, since puppy food and high potency pellets are made for animals that need more nutrients than the average adult. Larger parrots don't need more nutrients than smaller ones on an "ounce for ounce" basis, and the smaller ones would probably need proportionally more calories since smaller animals generally have a faster metabolism than larger ones. Some of the macaw species apparently need more fat in the diet than the other large parrots, but Tiko presumably isn't eating higher-fat food made for macaws.

Page 2 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next