Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How much pellets to feed? And Vitamin question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:25 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
I give Mango 1 spoon and the Cockatiels 2 spoons of Pellets is this enough for them to be eating until their next meal which is seed and veg.Instead of feeding seed in the morning I wanna feed the pellets instead and because I am converting Mango too and it would be better for the pellets to be his first meal when he wakes up.So will 1 scoop of pellets each be enough to feed them and keep them full until I come home from school or should I give them more?

Also I have another question about Vitamins that you buy in the pet store.My birds dont get enough Vitamin D because its winter so don't go outside and you need Vitamin D to absorb calcium (Does that mean they aren't getting their calcium at all?) It also has Vitamin A,b,c but it doesn't exactly say that for example it saids vitamin D3 whats the difference? Should I buy the vitamins?

Post subject: Re: How much pellets to feed? And Vitamin question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The recommendations vary, but a lot of the most knowledgeable people are currently saying that a good level for cockatiels and similar-sized parrots is to feed pellets as 30-50% of the diet. If you're buying a good pellet brand it will have an appropriate amount vitamin D, calcium and other nutrients in it. I forget which brand you use, but I know I looked it up in the past and it said it was a "complete" pellet which is what we want.

Vitamin D3 is the form of Vitamin D that birds need. But if they're eating a lot of pellets it's not good to give additional vitamin D because this vitamin can build up in the body and lead to an overdose if they get too much of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:14 pm 
Banned
Banned

Oh ok and the Brand is Beaphar.How many spoons is 30-50%

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The listing for Beaphar at http://www.northernparrots.com/beaphar- ... rod564232/ shows the added vitamins if you click on Details, and vitamin D3 is in there.

The number of spoons depends on what size spoon you use and how much your birds eat. Most websites say cockatiels eat 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons a day (one tablespoon=3 teaspoons), or about 15 grams. So that's a starting point. It's important for birds to get enough calories every day, so be sure to give them plenty of time to eat seeds etc in the afternoon (or in the late morning), in case they don't eat enough pellets in the early morning.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:24 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
I don't want to interrupt too much, but,the cockatiel pellets at my store ran out, so before I left, I bought them a bag of these:

Are those okay? Or should I tell them to look for cockatiel food?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:29 am 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
The listing for Beaphar at http://www.northernparrots.com/beaphar- ... rod564232/ shows the added vitamins if you click on Details, and vitamin D3 is in there.

The number of spoons depends on what size spoon you use and how much your birds eat. Most websites say cockatiels eat 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons a day (one tablespoon=3 teaspoons), or about 15 grams. So that's a starting point. It's important for birds to get enough calories every day, so be sure to give them plenty of time to eat seeds etc in the afternoon (or in the late morning), in case they don't eat enough pellets in the early morning.

Ok thanks.How do you know if they are eating the pellets and not just grinding them up because I always see lots of it in dust.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kaytee is a decent brand although it's not my favorite. I'm just biased against Kaytee in general, there's nothing specific about their pellets that I object to. It will work well enough if the birds are willing to eat it. Birds don't always accept a new brand right away.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
How do you know if they are eating the pellets and not just grinding them up

There's no way to be 100% sure, but if they're chewing on it there's a high probability that they're eating some of it too. Grinding pellets into powder isn't so much fun that they're likely to be doing it for entertainment. Parrots instinctively try to remove the hull from their food even if it doesn't have one. If a piece is too big for them to swallow whole they'll also break it down to a smaller size.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:39 am 
Banned
Banned

Yeah they eat the African grey ones and can break them.Tiko eats every little bit of her pellets and the bowl does be completely clean and then she gets her seed and sometimes veg and she is also a fan of the Sprouted lentils.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:23 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
http://www.amazon.com/Higgins-HIG-InTun ... B007R1VOUU
My friend who started this forum sent me sample of this. He seemed to like it. So i ordered a bag. They got a tiel size as well. But our birds like to hold stuff in there feet. Seems to be good.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next