All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Beef mince
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:34 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 8 times
Got happy chirps: 10 times
As I said in the soy thread, I am vegetarian, but I bought a sweet potato pie (that's what they called it!) and then noticed to my horror there is beef mince in it.
I know from another mistake that my boy loves chicken. How about beef mince? There are some spices though. Thanks!
Oh, how long can I keep it in the fridge and how much can I give him?
:(

Post subject: Re: Beef mince
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:41 pm 
Finch
Finch

http://supernaturefoods.com.au/superfoo ... e-pie.html

Sorry, I had added a comment but with the comment it won't let me post. AGAIN. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
There are some respectable sources who discourage people from feeding any animal protein at all to parrots, but personally I doubt that there's any harm in letting them have a little bit once in a while. You'll have to use your own judgement on how much to let him have and how long to keep it. Just basically keep in mind that this is a 3-ounce bird and don't let him go too crazy with it. Like I said before, I have articles on just about everything lol, and here's my article on feeding animal protein: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... nimal.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:43 pm 
Finch
Finch

Thanks. I must check if the spices are fine too before giving it to him.

Edit: It contains garlic, which is not good for him (I know it is controversial, but I don't want to run any risks, so I will just throw it out. :(
Or maybe I will wash it for him, so it is just protein.

Last edited by addicted.to.tiels on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Based on the picture, it looks like it might be a sweet potato top crust with a spiced beef and vegetable mix underneath it. You could always just give him the top crust and skip the rest if it seems inappropriate for birds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:46 pm 
Finch
Finch

I ate the top crust myself... :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Garlic is controversial for birds. There's some evidence that too much is dangerous, but some people actually recommend feeding small amounts to birds, saying that it's beneficial. Personally I'd be more concerned about the Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard lol. The top crust part looks like it would be fine (if you hadn't already eaten it lol :rotflmao100: ) but I agree that the bottom layer is too iffy for birds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:49 pm 
Finch
Finch

I washed out just a bit of beef mince so it doesn't have any other flavours. He will hardly get any meat ever again if I don't make a mistake... :)

And now I am going to eat something he should really never touch - avocado...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Avocado is definitely a good thing to avoid with parrots. There's a chemical in it called persin which is toxic to some animals but not to others. It's not toxic to humans so we can indulge in that wonderful guacamole. It's apparently not toxic to some birds, and with some softbills it's standard practice to feed them avocado. But there are reports of parrots having problems with it so it's best to avoid it until we know more about it.

Apparently some types of avocado (like Hass) tend to have more persin than others, and some avocados within a particular type have more persin than others. Some bird species may be more sensitive than others, and some individual birds within a species might be more sensitive than others. We don't really know how dangerous it is to parrots so it's not necessarily a death sentence if your bird accidentally gets hold of some. But it's definitely not something that you want to experiment with.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:13 pm 
Finch
Finch

I would never experiment with my boy! Actually I am absolutely against all forms of experiments with animals.
Once while he was eating his treat he saw me eat an avocado and jumped on my shoulder to have some (because what I was eating had to be better than his treat, lol). I tried to quickly close my mouth, but I think he got a really tiny bit, really really tiny, and nothing happened.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I am vegetarian by the way because when they delivered the wrong pizza (with chicken) as a substitute for my vegetarian pizza that was out of stock I gave him the chicken and he LOVED it, while he hates veggies. I wish I could buy small portions of meat or chicken just for him, but I can't. They only sell huge quantities for a start and I don't really like to have meat in my fridge.

I have never tried soy products like chicken-style schnitzel etc. with him, so I might try and see if he likes it.

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next