Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: How much food?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:08 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
How much food should a baby budgie have? I mean, she's not featherless, but I feel like she's 2 and a half months old. How much should I give her? Until she's full? I'm giving them cockatiel pellets, budgie pellets and nutrieberries.

Post subject: Re: How much food?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:15 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Well, since Meema is already weaned, I'm pretty sure it's about the same as an adult budgie.

I'll let someone else confirm or correct me on this, since I don't know a lot about budgies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
"Until she's full" sounds good to me. It would be good to have food in the cage all the time so she can eat whenever she's hungry. She's mostly grown at this point but probably still needs a little more calories than an adult.

Offer them some vegetables too, it's desirable to have other foods in the diet in addition to pellets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:56 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Oh, I thought pellets and nutrieberries were okay. What kind of vegetables should I give them? My uncle gives his birds celery, but someone told me it messed up their stomach or something.

EDIT: Thank you. I forget to say it, but I always mean it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:39 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Always leave food dishes with seed etc in their cage....
My budgies dont seem to bother with veggies... mashed up egg is good..... variety of different seeds.... small piece of toast crust now and then.... apple, pear, carrot... if they will eat it.... really, budgies eat much the same as tiels... well mine do....celery nope mine don't like it....only water it that veg... not much goodness... any greens also

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:04 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Pellets are good, yes, but the more variety of healthy foods you can feed them, the better. :D

I've found that they love broccoli. Lucy especially likes to shred it to millions of pieces. :lol: Even when they do seem to just be playing with the food, they are eating it.

I also dice up a piece of carrot into tiny semi bite-sized pieces. I sometimes shred it for them too, and they seem to enjoy it that way.
I also feed them leafy greens. Though it varies, it's usually along the lines of romaine and kale.

And it is indeed best to have food in there at all times, since birds have high metabolisms. Fresh water should be provided at all times too, but I'm sure that one is a little obvious. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
My cockatiels prefer leafy greens. I have flower pots on the back porch where I grow a lot of different things (chard, endive, arugula, spinach, cilantro, kale, collards, etc). Every day I pick some baby leaves and feed them to the birds. I grow carrots too, mostly for the leaves, but when the leaves fizzle out I dig up the tiny 1-inch carrots that are down in the dirt and give those to the birds too.

Broccoli florets are popular because they look like unripe seed heads. Corn kernels cut off the cob are also appreciated. Asparagus. Chemical-free lawn grass, preferably with unripe seeds on it.

Smaller birds and animals have a faster metabolism than larger ones. It's often recommended to feed large parrots twice a day but this doesn't work as well with the smaller ones. Budgies are a small, high-energy bird so they need to eat more often than a larger bird does. Cockatiels aren't as small or as high-energy as budgies but they aren't big birds, and it's good for them to have frequent access to food.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]